Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet 2003 S500 4Matic 2004 S55 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyopne have a lead on a reasonable supplier for TPMS sensor for an '03 S500? Looking on Ebay, prices seem to be all over the map and lord knows I don't want to go to the stealership. Any advice or leads would be appreciated. Thanks BOb

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
Discount Tire has these as well for ~$110 each. Stealer quoted me $1400 for all four sensors and a "recalibration"... WTF!!?? All my sensors were beyond service life with dead or low batterys. Next tire change D.T. will be installing new ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got some from Discount Tire for $110.

Right now they do not work. Discount Tire was using an aftermarket handheld that saw the tire pressures from the new sensors. However, we can't seem to sync them to the TPMS. I still get TPMS malfunction, drive to workshop. Discount told me to bring them back to recheck. Anyone esle have any experience with this. Discount Tires sell Beru brand, made in Germany.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,897 Posts
Right now they do not work. Discount Tire was using an aftermarket handheld that saw the tire pressures from the new sensors. However, we can't seem to sync them to the TPMS. I still get TPMS malfunction, drive to workshop. Discount told me to bring them back to recheck. Anyone esle have any experience with this. Discount Tires sell Beru brand, made in Germany.
According to my tire store, they would not be able to program the sensors into the MB TPMS module. I had seen reports of folks who indicated their tire stores could. I pressed my dealer on the point, and he was noncommittal as to whether they had to be programmed in via DAS.

As best as I can determine, some models can be set up and programmed by the tires stores, and some cannot be. My Tire Rack Beru sensors were programmed by the dealer, via DAS, and work fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you tell me if they were 315mhz or 433mhz? Can we get Beru part #? How much did the dealer charge you to program them? Discount Tires swears they can program, but installed 433mhz, so they ordered 315mhz, but those won't be in unitl March 10th. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,897 Posts
The U.S. spec W220s use the Beru 315 mhz sensors. The dealer charged 2 hours' labor to install the sensors, program them into the controller via DAS, and rotate & balance the tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Success with Tire Pressure Sensors from Discount Tire

Guys, here we go. I have a 2006 S-class. First time I went to Discount Tire, they sold me Beru brand 433mhz for $112. Problem is, from what I've been reading, 433mhz is for non-US cars. US cars are suppose to use 315mhz. So, after reading that, I had Discount Tire replace the 433mhz with 315mhz and they were able to program them just find. After programming the sensors and driving the car for 10 minutes, everything was good. Dealer quoted me $1500 bucks. Discount tire $500 total. Hopes that helps anyone in need of less expensive Tire Pressure Sensors.

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
634 Posts
Wouldn't these work?

I am no Tire Pressure Monotoring System expert BUT

what is the difference between models other than Mhz

Wouldn't these work as well? They are 315 Mhz & claim replacement for Beru

What would be different other than the MHZ?
The Jaguar rim size for the 2004 are 18" aluminum so rim size is the same.

Jaguar XJ Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Assy SET - AM Autoparts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tire pressure sensors

Not sure what else would be different. If frequecy is the same, I would assume they should work. My only thoughts are, if you buy them for $200 online, how much would a shop charge you to install and program them? Forget MB dealer, it's $500 just to talk to them ; )
Discount sold them as installed and programmed for the $500.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Programming?

I don't think any programming is needed.

When I used to reset mine it would say drive for a while to TPM to display.

From what I know about TPMS(which is minimal) there is a small antenna at each wheel well routed to a central receiver

It is tuned to 315 Mhz when you reset it it zeros out the system and then after drving a bit. Usually 10 miles it will notice a continual steady data stream from all 4 channels and then will begin displaying the PSI.

UNLESS I HAVE THIS ALL WRONG...... Anyone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understood it as, if you are replacing them, then the new units have to be programmed or paired to the car (like a bluetooth headset to your phone). Also, the programming tells your system what sensor is located where, Front Left, Right Rear, etc...... If you are just replacing tires are fixing a flat, then you can just reset system. Anyone else?

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
There is no programing necessary. You install new sensors, you reset the TPMS system through your dash digital message center, the system interogates the sensors, you drive about 5 miles and viola it works.

·
Registered
634 Posts
any theory

Just wondering about the Jag 315 Mhz sensors...

What IS the difference between different models assuming the frequenc remains correct..

I mean if the $50 sensors do the job then that is a HUGE savings for every member.

Come on you heavy duty Techs.... Need more brainpower on this

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,897 Posts
There is no programing necessary. You install new sensors, you reset the TPMS system through your dash digital message center, the system interogates the sensors, you drive about 5 miles and viola it works.
mjd, I understand you are a service advisor - Finally, a straight answer!! Thanks.

When I replaced my TPMS sensors (ordered from The Tire Rack) this past year, the shop that installed my tires told me they would be unable to "program" the sensors into my car.

So, I took it to my dealer for installation of the sensors and "programming." I asked the question of my service advisor, with whom I have dealt the past 5 years; he was highly evasive as to whether they had to be "programmed" via DAS.

At that, they exercised absolutely no care when inflating my tires - when I checked the system, I saw they were overinflated (fronts were 37 psi), and expected I'd get a warning light driving home - I did. I used my racing-style tire gauge to set proper pressures, then re-calibrated the system. Glad I was familiar with the system to a large extent. Some "service."

That kind of thing is disgusting. Anyway, I am very happy to have a straight answer on whether DAS is required..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts