Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML350/2009 C300
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the TPMS on my vehicle. I am going to swap out wheels on my vehicle from the stock 17" wheels. I don't know however if I have TPMS or not. It looks like I just have the rubber valve stems and read a post saying if they are rubber then you don't have TPMS. However on my message center in the vehicle between the speedo and RPM, when I scroll through it there is an option for a "run flat indicator" Then I think it says you press + to activate. When I press + it says it is activated. This makes me think the sensors are there? If someone could clarify I would really appreciate it. Also what other items will I need for the wheels to be swapped out? If it does not have the sensors then is it just a standard tire swap? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
You don't have TPMS. Your vehicle uses the antilock brake sensors to determine any difference in rotational speed between the wheels. If there is a difference it means that one of the tires is low, thus effectively reducing the circumference of the tire and so giving a speed reading different from the other three. If you had the true TPMS system, each (metal) valve would be a transmitter that sends the wheel's actual pressure to a receiver. You need do nothing special when changing wheels other than reset the sensor by pushing the "R" button above the display when the run flat indicator is visible.

·
Registered
2006 ML350/2009 C300
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for the response. I was thinking along those lines, however did not want to get to the tire shop to do the swap out and need something else to get the job done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts