Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HiFolks,
I want to put on snows and the tire dealer said I didnt need tpms on the valve as my 2008 E350 4Matic has remote monitoring, apparently on the ABS.
Yet as I look around on line it seems every one talks about the tirevalve TPMS and how they have to be installed, another says that I have to "register" the new tire with the monitor on board or I will get a light & sound tellling me that there is a malfunction. What to do!
I'm thoroughly confused, can anyone elp me?

·
Registered
2004 E500
97 Posts
If your car has the system shown in http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219 HO TPC (GC_RP) 06-20-02.pdf and can read out the individual tire pressures on the dash, then you need the wheel sensors that mount in the tires to transmit the pressure to the system. It seems unlikely that you would have it, because I believe the system was dropped after 2005.

If you cannot read the individual pressures on the dash you have the system which works off the ABS. Either way, there is nothing that needs to be "registered." If you do have the system with the sensors, all you need to do is push the button on the dash to reactivate it. It just takes a little longer for it to pick up the new data from the transmitters than if it is input directly by the dealer.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your car has the system shown in http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219 HO TPC (GC_RP) 06-20-02.pdf and can read out the individual tire pressures on the dash, then you need the wheel sensors that mount in the tires to transmit the pressure to the system. It seems unlikely that you would have it, because I believe the system was dropped after 2005.
If you cannot read the individual pressures on the dash you have the system which works off the ABS[/B]. Either way, there is nothing that needs to be "registered." If you do have the system with the sensors, all you need to do is push the button on the dash to reactivate it. It just takes a little longer for it to pick up the new data from the transmitters than if it is input directly by the dealer.
Thank you Dang for the link & quick reply!
My tire guy said that it works off the ABS, does that mean that I don't need sensors in the wheels?

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Your dealer is mistaken.

When TPMS became mandatory with 2007-built models, Mercedes switched to sensors at the tire valve stem ... as I bet your original wheels/tires have. Just look--are they silver metal fixed with a nut?

When you put on different wheels, they need to have the valve stem sensors, too.

You can thank Ford Explorer/Firestone for the fact fitting a set of winter wheels/tires now costs an extra $400 for TPMS sensors.

PS: My response is based on knowledge of USA models. Canada could be different, but, again just look at your air valve stems and you can tell the difference between black rubber and silver metal.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Your dealer is mistaken.

When TPMS became mandatory with 2007-built models, Mercedes switched to sensors at the tire valve stem ... as I bet your original wheels/tires have. Just look--are they silver metal fixed with a nut?

When you put on different wheels, they need to have the valve stem sensors, too.

You can thank Ford Explorer/Firestone for the fact fitting a set of winter wheels/tires now costs an extra $400 for TPMS sensors.

PS: My response is based on knowledge of USA models. Canada could be different, but, again just look at your air valve stems and you can tell the difference between black rubber and silver metal.
I should have had a look at the US manual but was it US W204 cars that have the "full TPMS" system but still don't have the cluster menu where tyre pressures are shown? This could be the source for the confusion although should not confuse a dealer at any circumstances.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your dealer is mistaken.

Went to check and all the stems are black (rubber?) and no nut.
So am I righ to assume that there are no TPMS in the tire? and if so how does the computer pick up any anomaly in the air pressure?

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you cannot read the individual pressures on the dash you have the system which works off the ABS. Either way, there is nothing that needs to be "registered." If you do have the system with the sensors, all you need to do is push the button on the dash to reactivate it. It just takes a little longer for it to pick up the new data from the transmitters than if it is input directly by the dealer.
Hi again Dang, I looked and have the black rubber stems (see reply to IKChris)
what does that mean? do I have TPMS or not, so bl..dy confusing. If I don't have them, how do the tires & computer communicate if there is a change in tire pressure? and if I install snows what do I have to do to make the system work properly? Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
2013 MB S550 4Matic, 2010 BMW 650i, 2008 MB E350 sports package
62 Posts
I have the 2008 e350 sports package. Just bought a set of winter tires/wheels from tirerack. They charged me $61 a piece for the TPMS sensors. They fit fine and no registration needed.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Hi again Dang, I looked and have the black rubber stems (see reply to IKChris)
what does that mean? do I have TPMS or not, so bl..dy confusing. If I don't have them, how do the tires & computer communicate if there is a change in tire pressure? and if I install snows what do I have to do to make the system work properly? Thanks for you help.
If your current valves are black rubber, you do not seem to have TPMS sensors in your wheels. If the car neither reports any malfunctions about the TPMS system (because of missing sensors), you would have the "Tyre pressure warning system" that works on ESP (ABS sensors).

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your current valves are black rubber, you do not seem to have TPMS sensors in your wheels. If the car neither reports any malfunctions about the TPMS system (because of missing sensors), you would have the "Tyre pressure warning system" that works on ESP (ABS sensors).
Thanks Diesel, tomorrow I'll look to see what system I have, will try to navigate through the computer complex info.
Cheers

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the 2008 e350 sports package. Just bought a set of winter tires/wheels from tirerack. They charged me $61 a piece for the TPMS sensors. They fit fine and no registration needed.
Hi Gonowhere, I have the same car, but it seems that mine doesn't have TPMS on the original wheels/tires as I have Black valves.
What colour are your valves (non snow tires) and do you know if you have TPMS or not. Was it standard in that model year or not?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Gonowhere, I have the same car, but it seems that mine doesn't have TPMS on the original wheels/tires as I have Black valves.
What colour are your valves (non snow tires) and do you know if you have TPMS or not. Was it standard in that model year or not?
I think all 2008 or newer cars in US are required to have TPMS. Mine has silver metal stems for both original and the replacement.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Not sure your staement is true. According to the manual. The base TPMS (USA models) does not read individual PSI, like my car which has the stem mounted sensors. The advanced TPMS (in Canada) will read out PSIs. Not sure where are the sensors located.

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
Just to add some fuel to the fire, no one "has" to have TPMS on their winter tires. Your car, your money so do what works best for you. What did we do before TPMS - checked the tire pressures ourselves. :)

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure your staement is true. According to the manual. The base TPMS (USA models) does not read individual PSI, like my car which has the stem mounted sensors. The advanced TPMS (in Canada) will read out PSIs. Not sure where are the sensors located.
Thank you all, will be at the dealer on Tue for other things and will inquire.
I'll report back the findings.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Thanks Diesel, tomorrow I'll look to see what system I have, will try to navigate through the computer complex info.
Cheers
You can check your car without leaving your desk. Find the data card and it states if you have the RDK or RDW feature.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Just to add some fuel to the fire, no one "has" to have TPMS on their winter tires. Your car, your money so do what works best for you. What did we do before TPMS - checked the tire pressures ourselves. :)

In this case, what you will "have" to do is face an error message regarding tire pressures. Guess you'll have to just ignore it, then, as few if any professionals will disable a safety system for you.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
I think all 2008 or newer cars in US are required to have TPMS. Mine has silver metal stems for both original and the replacement.
They are, but the start year is instead 2007.

But it's apparently "built" in 2007, as my 2007 built in 2006 doesn't have it and my 2007 built in 2007 does.

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
In this case, what you will "have" to do is face an error message regarding tire pressures. Guess you'll have to just ignore it, then, as few if any professionals will disable a safety system for you.
Exactly what I do on our smart when the winter tires are on. No intent to disable it. :)

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can check your car without leaving your desk. Find the data card and it states if you have the RDK or RDW feature.
Hi Diesel,

looked in the manual and apparently TPMS are only in the US we in Canada get Run flat monitoring. Apparently this system works with the ABS and monitors the rotational speed of each tire and as a tire leaks its diameter shrinks thereby rotating faster and triggering a warning for the affected wheel. Guess it will save me about $400 every 5 years.
Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion.
Merry Xmas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts