Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying an old, lightweight, "egg" fiberglass travel trailer (Big Foot/Trillium/Bolar/etc) and am wondering if there are any upgrades I need to make to my G. I am planning an auto tranny cooler and guage because I have to traverse large mountains.

Has anyone had problems with mirror size and are there any mirror extensions available?

How easy (or difficult) is it to put on a seven point trailer harness and trailer brake system on a G with an original European harness?

Anything else?

This is my first foray into trailering and I am a bit apprehensive but my wife has basically said no to camping unless there is more surrounding her than cloth! This is life I suppose.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
All wires are there if you don't mind splicing. Have lots of flux on hand because the wires will be corroded inside the harness and will be tough to solder. Resist the urge to crimp since the corrosion will cause excess resistance and heat in the crimped connection. Stick with it, get the wires clean, and then solder them.

Or you can shell out for the MB connector and wire into it. I hear it's pretty spendy though.

My biggest concern towing with the SWB 460 would be brakes, and after that, stability. I'm not sure what the rule is about trailer length to tow vehicle wheel base ratio, but you'll know if you've violated it. Plan for long stopping distances, and if possible, update the master cylinder and booster to give you a little more brake pressure per given pedal pressure. In the mean time, you can get the same results with more leg, but be sure the hydraulic systems are in good nick, no leaks, good shoes, pads, drums, rotors, etc.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am completely re-doing my brakes at each wheel - hoses, pads, rotors, shoes, drums, and cylinders and calipers if they need it. A new master cylinder/booster may be a good idea. The trailers are pretty light, max 2000lbs loaded (wet) maybe less, and we are planning on going pretty small, probably about 13 foot. You addressed most of the same concerns I have already thought of though. A SWB towing can be a frightening prospect I would imagine. The weight of the G will still be an advantage though I would imagine (not to mention the fact that it will not go very fast[;)].

Yes, the harness on there is pretty corroded and messy, but I figured everything would be there. My biggest concern now is mirrors and connecting an electric brake controller.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming,

Steve

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
I just added a brake controller to my G500 - as easy as brewing coffee in the morning.

Finally got my harness from MB for the brake controller. Everything was a snug fit.

Good info here on trailer stuff: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/public/trailer-handbook.pdf

About increasing brake force on the 460:
this might be a good opportunity to look into the different master cylinders available. I sw on German ebay that there are two different diameters available. Forgot to follow up on that one. Maybe someone on the board can enlighten us.

Question is also whether a combo of booster and master from an early 463 will fit - and whether it improves brake force.

Stuttgart had sent me a 463 booster for my 300GD and it worked wonderful. But the truck is gone and I did not note down the number.

Harald

·
Registered
1982 300gd
57 Posts
Could someone give me a idea as to where I could get a upgrade plug adapter for the original connection.I'm having no luck locally and I don't want to cut the original.(part number and source would be a great help)
thanx
scott

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Clarify please?

aggragated - 4/18/2005 4:12 PM

Could someone give me a idea as to where I could get a upgrade plug adapter for the original connection.....
Do you mean the part that plugs into the pigtails on the G's wiring and terminates in the original style trailer plug next to the hitch mounting?

Or do you mean a plug that will mate with the original style trailer plug that's next to the hitch on hitch-equipped G's?

I can probably find the part numbers and I have examples of all 3. We can sort it out depending on what you want. And if you're taking about plugging into the pigtails on the wiring harness, I think someone mentioned that some trucks had one pigtail and some had two. So you'd have to make note of which configuration you have. I can send some pix of various parts later this evening if it would help identify which you need.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1982 300gd
57 Posts
Dave, thanks for replying earlier.I have two pigtails to one adapter that sits next to the hitch. I would use either option, the pigtail adapter or the adapter extention.
thanxs
scott

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Steve, Chances are pretty slim that a trailer that small will have brakes at all. The general rule of thumb is 3000lbs and up require brakes. On the lighter ones you may have electric or possibly a surge-hydraulic system, which requires no extra connection.

As for wiring, I think I would do as Dave suggested and just carefully make your own wiring harness.

On mirrors, I would wait until I had the camper before worrying too much. Most of the smaller ones you are talking about are narrow enough that the factory mirrors may suffice. The law is generally that you must be able to see what is 200 ft behind you in your mirror. Extensions on the 460 mirrors might be a real pain, the factory mirrors are not on mounts beefy enough too take much more wieght.

I think the swb is going to tow just fine for you. Keep the trailer size small as you are planning and it will be no problem. I am no fan of the larger bumper pull travel trailers though. Even behind a big truck those get nasty in wind. I see several in the ditch every summer, usually behind a Suburban or other full size rig.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
aggragated - 4/18/2005 11:29 PM
....I have two pigtails to one adapter that sits next to the hitch. ...
I think I have that adapter in the truck. I'll try to remember to see if I can grap a part number off it at lunch time.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Here's the trailer plug I have

I couldn't make out a mating plug for the traier socket in the EPC. 4 pages of trailer socket stuff, but not the mating plug. It's quite possible I just missed it though.

The plug I have is pictured below. It carries a Bosch part number of 0352170004. I can't give you any help with a source as this one came in a box of stuff donated to me by a friend. In my case this plug is connected to a generic 7-to-4 converter box like you buy at the auto parts store, and from there to a 4-pin trailer plug, like for U-haul trailers and small trailers without electric brakes.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful in some way.

-Dave G.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
At the risk of not being Dave, that is the plug that goes into the part you are looking for. In the photo I'm posting there is on the left side a socket that the plug Dave is holding in his hand goes into. That socket on my rig has two pigtails that go into plugs built into the trucks wiring. The receiving wires are connected together with a plastic ring but are not really pluged into each other. They are waiting to be plugged into the trailer wiring you are seeking. Try buying a used trailer hitch with the wiring connected to it and you are there. I did this and modified it to allow connection to square receiver hitch options. That plug that Dave is holding is an older Euro standard trailer plug and are available through agricultural tractor dealers. I run Landin tractors and through a dealer got an all plastic version made in Italy. There is a new version that has a different pin configuration that you don't want. The one that Dave is holding is the style that will be compatible with the 460 truck wiring. I hope I haven't made this more confusing.

-Dai

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300gd
57 Posts
DAI
I have the original connector and I'm looking for either a adapter to use with the original or a replacement which would connect with the pigtails for a 4 pin boat trailer.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Then there are a few of choices. Buy a plug like Dave has in his hand there and wire out of it to the type of 4 pin you want to connect to (creating your own adapter) . Or splice into the two pigtails to get to the wires you need for your 4 pin connector (above your trailer socket). Or wire the plug like Dave's to the trailer you want to pull to go directly into the trailer socket. Europa used to list an adapter pigtail at a breathtaking price. A shop who specializes in trailer hitches can help you with the wiring. If you strike out trying to find one of those Euro plugs like the one Dave has I'm sure I can get one for you.

-Dai

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Great info, Dai

If you have a definite source and ordering number (internet based would be awesome but not required), it would be really cool to post it here with a good subject line like "460 trailer plug source" or something. I think more than one person would like to be able to actually USE their hitch with a nice clean wiring connection without the need to break into that crappy harness.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
G 400
40 Posts
sjtymko - 4/18/2005 5:52 PM

How easy (or difficult) is it to put on a seven point trailer harness and trailer brake system on a G with an original European harness?
If you have a G with a European harness, Dave G:s plug will fit your car without any modifacations. (Daves plug is the "male" and is located on the trailer)

However if you have 11pins in the plug on your car and want to connect Daves plug you will need a adapter
that looks somthing like Petes harness butt with a female instead of the 4pin plug....

I dont know if I got your question right but i can find the number for the adapter.....

Let me know if you want it....

·
Registered
1982 300gd
57 Posts
echte
I have a 7 pin euro plug,original to the G and I'm looking for the adapter so I can use it on a 4 pin trailer.
thanx
scott

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
aggragated - 4/21/2005 2:38 PM

echte
I have a 7 pin euro plug,original to the G and I'm looking for the adapter so I can use it on a 4 pin trailer.
thanx
scott
Like the black box converter in the middle of the harness pictured in the captnpete's earlier message?

Those are available at any hitch supply house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts