Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1994 SL 600 and 1987 560SL
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever towed with a 560SEL. Been thinking of using mine to tow about a 20ft travel trailer. It has about the same specs as a 1/2 ton pickup. Just askin

·
Registered
'02 E320 Wagon, '13 Chevrolet Volt
201 Posts
Good question. I am actually wondering the same myself since I received a hitch/towing setup with a set of Gen 2 Eurobumpers. I have however not installed the towing setup yet since I am not sure if it is worth it or not, i.e. install it or have some bodywork done on the bumper to close the opening from the hitch.

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
Looks very similar to a hitch I saw on a JY 126 (I think it was a 500 or 560) a few months back. Of course, when I decided to go back and get it, the car had been crushed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine looks like this, but sticks out a bit through the euro bumper, thus the cutout. Have not yet decided if I should install it or not. If installed, I have a white hitch cover that could be used.

Attachments

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
this is not an original trailer

Original trailer is fixed somewhere under the bumper. I had it on my old 500SE, rated up to 1900kg.

On W124, if you have a trailer then you have trunk reinforcements, not sure about W126 - here they don't even allow you to have a trailing device installed now (there's a big bold warning in their datasheet saying not to allow that - don't ask me why because mine had original from Germany - maybe an obsure custom option?).

I wouldn't install anything but the original one, on W124 the rear window wiould crack often without proper instalation...

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Towing a trailer with a 560SEL should be against the law.
It would be like towing a manure cart with a Kentucky Derby winner. LOL

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have not seen them much in the US, but it seems to be more common on cars in Europe. The trailer hitches are attached to the bumper, plus the reinforcement you see further in on the car. My personal "concern" is the unnecessary extra weight added for something I would not use much at all, but mostly the ugliness of the thing. Therefore I am leaning towards fixing the rear bumper at the body shop instead of installing the trailer hitch that the euro bumper came with. I still have the W210 wagon if I want to bring bicycles... :D

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
With SLS there should be no trouble with tongue weight. I am concerned that the mounting on both hitches shown, that someone would overload it. I would prefer to have the hitch tied into the bumper mounts as in a flat plate with tubular Ties between to be a class III hitch. The Hitches shown work for small trailers. Perhaps a 13 ft. pop top camper or a 2 horse trailer, nothing bigger. The hitches shown appear to be a Class II hitches.

·
Registered
1990 420 sel 213,800 replaced water pump and radiator; the timing chain good
268 Posts
Rent a truck,

The tow hitch properly should attach to the frame of the car, this is problematic on the sub-frame of the W126.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL W126
263 Posts
I don't think I would tow a trailer with mine, but I would love to have one just for my hitch mounted BBQ pit. Even though all of my friends said I'd have to wear a mullet wig and my girl wouldn't ride with me.

Just have to keep using the trail rig for that till I find one.

LASwede, let me know if your not gonna use yours, I may look into getting it off ya just to have a laugh at my next BBQ. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts