Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a brand new 2008 ML 320 CDI with a factory hitch installed that will be used to haul a 5,000 lbs Boat/Trailer combo.

I just found out that the the ball mount ( or drawbar ) 2'' receiver is very low,
15'' at it's center from the ground.

In order to tow a trailer parallel to the ground the ball mount should be at
24'' from the ground.

So here is my question: What kind of ball mount do you guys are you using?

An 8-11'' drop used upside down ( or should I say downside up ) ?
An adjustable ball mount combo ?

Any pics of your setup ???

P.S. The MB dealer is of no use, and said "u should not use your ML to tow anything !!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
you are right

It is very low, I am towing a small boat 21' on a single axle trailer. My trailer height is 21" to the top of the ball. I use a drawtite reciever, 4" up lift, and the ball adds around 2" or so, 15" to the middle of the reciever, +4" up lift, +2 inches to the top of the ball, = 21" above the ground. BTW, I have not tried to pull the boat up out of a steep ramp yet, I hope the ML350 has enough power.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The best way to find your height is to back your ML up to the the trailer..with the trailer at level towing height measure the rise from the top of the hitch receiver to the bottom of the trailer hitch then add a minimum 2 inches to allow for tongue weight squat. This eliminates any guess work and return trips to the ''hitch'' store.If you find the tongue weight excessive in terms of squat you can opt for an equalizing hitch with load equalizing bars. This will give you rock solid level towing. These are height adjustable and only require a short one time setup for each trailer and for something the capacity of the ML will run you perhaps an additional 75 bucks over the cost of just a receiver

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
I would not recommend depending on MB's ESP as a substitute for sway control as advised for a heavy trailer. ESP is mostly effective as skid control for the towing vehicle only and will not prevent the swaying of a heavy trailer that's being towed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like adjustability.

Since I have more than 1 tow vehicle and tow more than 1 trailer, I use an adjustable ball mount (Draw-Tite #1424) and a interchangeable hitch ball (with quick-change 1 7/8 & 2 in. balls). This allows me the flexibility of adapting to the different trailer heights and ball sizes. Every once in a while I even have to pull a U-Haul trailer in addition to my own trailers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the simple basic receiver turned upside down with a 2" ball to haul my 6500# boat with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I now know wich way to go ...
Pics to come when all set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts