Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 C300
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a hitch receiver on my C300 to tow a light-weight motorcycle trailer with a bike. Total load should be no more than 750 lbs. I've seen plenty of other cars in the same category as the C300 that have done this, but I just wanted to check the towing capacity specs for peace of mind and all I can find is "not recommended" everywhere I've looked. Yes, I know the C300 was obviously not designed with towing in mind, but that doesn't mean it's not possible and the weight that I'll be doing is about the equivalent of having 3 large people as passengers (with a different weight distribution :D).

Anyone have any experience with this and happen to know the towing specs? Any recommendations for hitch receivers? Most places I've looked online have them for around $150 and as far as I've heard U-haul sells them also and can install them, and that's much cheaper than I had expected.

·
Registered
2009 C300
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! that's what I was looking for. It seems like there shouldn't be a problem. I asked the Mercedes dealer today and they don't sell the hitch receivers or install them, because according to MB USA, it's not recommended. I've seen this done in Europe plenty of times with even smaller cars, I don't understand why the US division of MB is so sketchy about it. My plan is to try U-haul, and hopefully they've done it before on the C300 or a similar MB.

·
Registered
2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
819 Posts
Crikey that's a lot of towing capacity for a C300, 1195kg or 2600lbs. You can tow another car.
Not another C-class, though, since it weighs over 1500 kg. Seriously though, I didn't expect a C-class to have this much towing capacity. Not bad for a little sedan. :bowdown:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2011 C300 SPORT. I self installed a curt trailer hitch on my car. The installation looks perfect on my black car and with the black rubber plug inserted the hitch is not an eyesore. Most people do not even notice it. The hardest part to self install was making the holes into the metal bumper hidden under the plastic bumper cover..NO holes are visible from topside of car..and only part of hitch visible is the 1.25 inch square. I would probably pass on the self install if someone was willing to do the labor for less than $100...The electrical was easy for me because i was running LED lights on the trailer. LED lights consume very little power so i used a universal isolated hook-up. Basically the electrical kit isolates all electrical power drawn..Electrical was easy because i cheated and got power to the universal kit by using the fuse box in the trunk and passed cables out thru rubber plug in wheel well . That reduced a lot of wire running and since the fuse box is next to the wheel well all wires were easy to hide and easy to protect...i hide the trailer wire hook-up end under the plastic bumper with a zip tie...the trailer hitch has been used to pull a "trailer in a bag" brand trailer. The trailer was loaded with a Harley Road King and no problems to accelerate or stop and easy to exceed 70+ mph for numerous hours...highway mileage dropped about 20%..if used for something other than pulling a trailer then things are different because the hitch is not designed for side loads (twisting loads) like a bike rack.

·
Registered
2009 C300
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
forgot to give a quick report afterward (I don't visit this forum very much). i had u-haul install the hitch. it was about $170 including labor, but I didn't get the electric harness...however they definitely lost money on that. they quoted me that price assuming it would take half an hour (probably from past experience), but it took 2 hours and 3 or 4 drill bits. Apparently drilling the holes in the chassis was a pain in the ass. I suspect they didn't have the proper tools for it though.

nevertheless, I've towed my little motorcycle trailer several times so far and it worked like a charm. even on the interstate going 75 mph, I can barely notice it. The gas mileage obviously drops but it's not terrible. Even when pulling the trailer with the bike, I still did 22 mpg :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2013 E350 Cabriolet
35 Posts
My C300 with the factory hitch is allowed to tow 1800kg. I have towed a caravan with 2 motocycles inside and have had no problem other than horrible milage.

As someone else said, all MBs (or European cars for that matter) are made for towing.

Usually there are some more modifications, if you get the tow hook from the factory. Depending on the engine, you might have larger cooling vents. Also the ESP is different and offers a trailer stabilizing function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Towing help!

I have a 2007 C230 and want to have a hitch installed to two a 2,300 pound pop-up camping trailer. Mercedes doesn't recommend it, but most sites I go to say that the car can tow up to 3,300 pounds with no problem. We don't really see people towing with smaller cars here, but it seem in Europe they do it all the time! Uhaul said they can install the hitch with electric and brakes and all, but it'll be about $800!!! They're the only ones I can get to do it though. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? Is it silly for me to think my car can tow this? I certainly don't wan to invest the money to find out it was a bad idea... Any insight would be helpful!

·
Registered
08 C200 Avantgarde Sport AMG
21 Posts
Hi,
I would think no problem at all (2300pounds) it is only 1000kg, in New Zealand tow bar companies recommend up to 750 kg unbraked and the one I installed on my w204 has a load reccomendation 1200kg to 1500kg with a trailer which has brakes.

I would defiantly ring around for prices even try a brakers yard for a used one, to install one it is not a hard job and any good handyman or workshop could do it.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204-c-class/2323737-w204-tow-bar-install-boot-trunk.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is a few months old but I needed to know if any of you all know if there is a number of miles that you should stay under when towing with your C 300

1 - 12 of 12 Posts