Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E55, '02 E55 Estate, '05 E55 Estate, '07 R63 '08 G55, '14 E63S Estate
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am about to pull the trigger on a purchase of a 2003 G55. I will use the truck to tow a car trailer a few times a year (5K lbs). I have seen what appeared to be a factory oem tow package/receiver installed on a G500 before. I am looking for the best/cleanest set up. Questions are:

1. Who makes the best "kit"?
2. OE or aftermarket?
3. Is wiring a plug and play deal or does it require patching into existing wiring (cut/splice)?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
'15 G63; '10 G55K - Sold; '05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
479 Posts
Have you tried the 'search' feature?

I seem to remember an issue with the back-up warning beeper and towing

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
you have to cut wire, and the trailer hitch is like $800 bucks. as mentioned above the early model have no way to turn off the buzzer when your in reverse with a trailer.

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
I would get the Mercedes package. They will install a harness under the CD-changer in the back, with a number of relays that plug into connectors already there. You can be sure it will work properly then. It will also hook into the trailer-brake-controller harness so you can put one of those by your right knee. An aftermarket installer probably isn't going to find all that pre-wiring, and will just put new stuff in that you don't need.

You could probably get a bunch of aftermarket stuff that would work, but on a new-ish G55, you might as well do it right.

Anyone done any towing with a G55? I'm starting to get tempted by the prices on the used ones.

·
Registered
'01 E55, '02 E55 Estate, '05 E55 Estate, '07 R63 '08 G55, '14 E63S Estate
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies. And, yes I did try the search function and found some great information. I am looking for any current insight from members who have actual experience with OE and aftermarket tow packages. So far it looks like the the "clean" option is an oem set up. Now the search begins for the best deal on an oem package......

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
w5yk - 4/11/2006 2:10 PM

Anyone done any towing with a G55? I'm starting to get tempted by the prices on the used ones.
If you decide you want to get a G55, Ill buy that bumper back if you want to sale it [:p]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
camv10 - 4/11/2006 2:25 PM

Thank you for your replies. And, yes I did try the search function and found some great information. I am looking for any current insight from members who have actual experience with OE and aftermarket tow packages. So far it looks like the the "clean" option is an oem set up. Now the search begins for the best deal on an oem package......
The best deal, according to the word on this street, is Caliber Motors.

http://calibermotors.com/index2.htm

Yes, they do mail order.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,203 Posts
I have an extra wiring harness that I didn't use. Since I already had the European plugs, I just made an adapter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did put in the dealer tow package as no one else was willing to wire in an oem harness for me. If I remember correctly, it cost about $300. I tow a 16 foot horse trailer with my G500. I had to wire in an aftermarket brake assist control. The most difficult part of the whole process is trying to figure out what each wire on the tow package is i.e. which is the positive lead, the ground, the brake lights, etc. I fried one brake assist control already.... any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
tork,

Which model of brake controller are you trying to install? I installed a Prodigy, so I could tell you how I did that if its of any use.

Also let us know what model/year G-wagen you have. The 2002 has no pre-wiring for a brake controller. Some of the later years actually have the wires installed - I believe they come forward to the area below the handbrake so that you can put the controller by your right knee.

There are four connections to make:
*Ground (I used the vehicle chassis)
*12V from the fusebox (I used the fusebox under the glovebox)
*Input from the brake pedal (you have to splice into the wire from the switch on the brake pedal)
*Output to the brake pin on the trailer socket (the wire for this may be installed already)

The trailer connector on the G has the following pinouts, starting at the 1 o'clock position and going clockwise (looking at the truck)
+12v
RH stop/turn
Brakes
0v
LH stop/turn
Running lamps

The center pin is for the backup lamps

On the 2002 models, the pin for the brakes is not connected to anything. The modular connector that connects the truck to the trailer connector does not have a pin fitted on the brake circuit, so you have to install one first before you can connect a brake controller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts