Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got towed a few days ago out of closed office building lot within 7 minutes of me parking. I know that my car (2000, C230) got towed using a wheel lift tow truck. I have no idea how it was towed. I am really worried about what damage it may have caused and if there is anything i should look for? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If it was towed (picked up) from the rear you should be o.k. if it was lifted from the front and towed thats a different story. It should mention the way the car was towed (front or rear, or placed on flatbed, etc) on the citation or impound lot ticket. B

·
Registered
342 Posts
It depends on if your is manual or automatic transmission. If manual and the parking brake was no on then it's fine to be towed from the back, ie: front wheels on the ground.

If it is an automatic - then there could be problems. I always though it is imnpossible to tow an automatic which is in "P" - so they have to use one of those lift things that fork-lifts the car onto a flat bed truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is an automatic gear box. i've drove it a little and the gear box seams a bit sluggish to me but it is still drivable unless its the cold weather or I'm paranoid about it. it wasn't a very good or well run tow company who claims they are not responsible for any damage they do, so they probably didn't really care how they towed the car. the transmission is really my main concern i have. I'll most likely end up taking it to the MB dealer to have a look. thanks for the information about towing

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
it is an automatic gear box. i've drove it a little and the gear box seams a bit sluggish to me but it is still drivable unless its the cold weather or I'm paranoid about it. it wasn't a very good or well run tow company who claims they are not responsible for any damage they do, so they probably didn't really care how they towed the car. the transmission is really my main concern i have. I'll most likely end up taking it to the MB dealer to have a look. thanks for the information about towing
Don't let yourself be bullied by the tow company, they ARE liable for damages unless maybe it was a city-hired vehicle used because you were breaking some law/regulation such as parking next to a fire hydrant. It sounds like predatory towing, usually a private company. I had a tow company scratch the rear bumper on a vintage Jaguar and they had to pay $1,500 for the damage they caused. Your car has a button on the dash to allow the car to be towed w/o damage and as mentioned, if it's an automatic it would need to be towed on a flatbed ideally (maybe front wheels on the ground is ok tho I don't know). I'd definitely ask your dealer to check it out and also, did your paperwork have any indication how it was towed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was an independent company, there was two other people behind me in the line. the first was towed from the exact same lot and the other from his own parking space at his apartment. the lot i was parked in was an office building, that was closed for the weekend. As far as i can tell they did not do any body damage to the car. I'm not sure how they towed the car because i never got any ticket/ paperwork from them, just received a receipt that said i paid. I'm assuming it was from the back wheels because the car was in the tow lot front first next to a wall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts