Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that MB in the US didn't fit cars for towing in the 1980s, but for the rest of the world they did. Can someone tell me what the towing capacity of a 300TD is?

thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm interested as well....

You say they did not equip them for towing, is that simply because they lack the trailer wiring harness and trailer hitch? Or are there more mechanical parts needed?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested as well....

You say they did not equip them for towing, is that simply because they lack the trailer wiring harness and trailer hitch? Or are there more mechanical parts needed?
MB didn't offer a trailer hitch for the US market. They did for the rest of the world. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing specific about a tow package from MB for a 300TD other than a) hitch b) wiring for lights I believe that there is no difference in suspension and brakes, or engine/trans cooling, etc.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
From EPC...Trailed Load 1900 KG (oops)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From EPC...Trailed Load 1800 KG
So the EPC quote looks like it says 1900 KG rather than 1800, so that comes out to 4180 pounds... OK...

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a way to put a trailer hitch no US models? And maybe also wire up lights?
Yes.
Google "Curt 11805" and you will see the hitch. When I was looking the best price was at "J. C. Whitney", but they no longer sell it. Expect to pay around $250 for the hitch. As for the wiring, U-haul did an absolute hatchet job on splicing into the tail lights. I'll be re-doing it at some point.

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=hitch&selectVehicleYear=1979,1980,1981,1982,1983,1984,1985,1986&selectVehicleMount=Rear+Mount&selectvehiclemake=Mercedes&selectvehiclemodel=300TD or TE Wagon&selectvehiclestyle=123 Chassis&productCode=11805

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
Yes.
Google "Curt 11805" and you will see the hitch. When I was looking the best price was at "J. C. Whitney", but they no longer sell it. Expect to pay around $250 for the hitch. As for the wiring, U-haul did an absolute hatchet job on splicing into the tail lights. I'll be re-doing it at some point.

Trailer Hitches, Heavy Duty Hitch, & Towing Accessories Made in America by CURT Manufacturing.

It's designed to be bolted only on wagons. The left mount has clearance issues if the trailer hitch assembly is bolted to sedans or coupes due to the muffler tip design.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

It's designed to be bolted only on wagons. The left mount has clearance issues if the trailer hitch assembly is bolted to sedans or coupes due to the muffler tip design.
Looks like a nice sturdy hitch. It would last the life of the car. I had good luck w Curt stuff so far on my other vehicles!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it is more than the left mount vs muffler - you have to be able to bolt to both sides of the frame that the bumper shock is inside of. That is accessible on the underside of a wagon, but I thought that it was not accessible on the underside of a sedan. Maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, 11805 is the correct hitch from Curt for wagons only, there is a different (less interesting) one for coupes and sedans.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I realize that MB in the US didn't fit cars for towing in the 1980s, but for the rest of the world they did. Can someone tell me what the towing capacity of a 300TD is?

thanks
My 1984 300TDT has a trailer hitch and it is shown on the factory information card from original manufacture in Germany.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 1984 300TDT has a trailer hitch and it is shown on the factory information card from original manufacture in Germany.
On a US Spec care? Picture please? Towing capacity please? It will be on the metal threshold of the rear panel door....

·
Registered
85 Posts
On a US Spec care? Picture please? Towing capacity please? It will be on the metal threshold of the rear panel door....
someone posted an image of an info sheet on this thread, I think it said something quite high, 1900 kg? yes, a second look verifies this .. presented in unmistakable MB style ....

U haul has it in their data base (you have to phone them) , they are fine with it, they say ok up to the same amount, their online check for yourself reservation system does not list that vehicle at all.

I'd never want to tow that much weight with it.

the hitch on it is a heavy duty thing, makes after market jobs look a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If i remember correctly, i think the manual states 2,000 lbs up to 50mph. I wouldn't stress the trans or the rear suspension anymore than that.

I towed 900lbs with my 300d before and if you think it is slow normally, just wait... :D

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If i remember correctly, i think the manual states 2,000 lbs up to 50mph. I wouldn't stress the trans or the rear suspension anymore than that.

I towed 900lbs with my 300d before and if you think it is slow normally, just wait... :D
Rear suspension and rear brakes are beefier on wagons as compared with sedans/coupes.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I _still_ want an image of the hitch and the information card. My understanding is that this was _not_ the case for any US-spec car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts