Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 G-500, FC-170
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows a place to purchase a quality bolt-on tow hitch. Also, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to improve the mpg for a G500? Can the computer be adjusted? I understand that these rigs are rated in the teens and sometime obtain 10 around town, but with current gas prices, I would like to improve the mileage. Thanks

Cheers--Kevin[:)]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
I get 16 mpg highway, 14 mpg around town, 9.5 mpg towing 6,000 lbs

Harald

·
Registered
2002 G-500, FC-170
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harald;

Where did you get the hitch to tow with?

Kevin

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
tectonic_shift - 2/20/2005 1:34 PM

Harald;

Where did you get the hitch to tow with?

Kevin
MBUSA dealers are about the only ones that have them now. Europa used to sell a very nice, but pricey one.

Do a search here on "hitch". Someone posted a dealer in California who is offering what appears to be the best price.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Kevin,

I got my hitch directly from MBUSA - but they sent the wrong wiring harness and never bothered to send the correct one. After waiting almost a year for them to clean up their mess, I finally got the proper harness in Stuttgart at headquarters.

Harald

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
Last year I investigated available aftermarket (Europa and nonEuropa) and Mercedes hitches. Bottomline recommendation is go with the Mercedes Hitch.
- Liability
- Proven fit and function. No welding
- About a 1-2 hour install
- Capacity is between a class III and IV
- Zero regrets. I'm glad I got it. It looks like it belongs there and there is no doubt in my mind about its capacity. Enjoy the attached photo of its second most important job (the first being the safe transport of my family and me)

I looked at:
- Europa's. They aren't having them made anymore
- http://www.drophitch.com/index.asp?PageAction=ViewProd&prodID=37 Looks bad and I can't imagine how it fits within that tight space
- taking an older 280GE Orvis hitch and converting it to a 2" receiver. There would be zero certification for capacity. In this litigous society only you can weigh the outcome of a hitch failure.

As far as gas mileage goes, I don't think there is much that can be done to improve mileage significantly. You'd have to find an enthusiasts group that likes to tinker with Mercedes 113.9 motors. It's a big square vehicle that needs what it needs. My mileage actually improved a bit (1-2mpg)when I moved over from my 280GE to the G500.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Guess I should consider myself lucky to have found one of the old Europa hitches. I snatched it up off Ebay a year or so ago. Still haven't towed anything and wondered what the weight capacity would be for my G320... Anyone have a ballark I could work with...looking for a boat and not sure if my truck is going to be able to pull it...

Thanks.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
2 things i can think of for mileage are

1) drive more light footed and cruise more through turns. You should be able to get at least 12-13 in town. And if you drive less than 70mph... say 60?... you should be able to get 15-16 mpg

2) change out your t-case, and differential fluids with higher performance stuff. THey'll run cooler a fair bit cooler (which is good anyway) and you'll squeek a little more efficiency.

there was a 4x4 site in the UK i think that had reports on this little gizmo... kind of a turbine looking stainless steel vanes assembly that you put into your intake that was supposed to make the flow more turbulent as it entered the cylinder, which increased fuel/air mixing... was supposed to give a little more power and efficiency... the premise is legit and they appeared to be non-biased in their evaluation, but my concern is that in making the flow more turbulent, the end up reducing the flow a little... which i would guess is bad.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Snake Oil Efficiency Improvements

ewalberg - 2/21/2005 3:11 AM

there was a 4x4 site in the UK i think that had reports on this little gizmo... kind of a turbine looking stainless steel vanes assembly that you put into your intake that was supposed to make the flow more turbulent as it entered the cylinder, which increased fuel/air mixing... was supposed to give a little more power and efficiency... the premise is legit and they appeared to be non-biased in their evaluation, but my concern is that in making the flow more turbulent, the end up reducing the flow a little... which i would guess is bad.
I doubt if this would have much - if any - effect on a fuel injected engine, where the fuel and air don't get together until they're inside of the cylinder - far past the little fan. [|)]

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
RE: Snake Oil Efficiency Improvements

DUTCH - 2/21/2005 12:46 PM
I doubt if this would have much - if any - effect on a fuel injected engine, where the fuel and air don't get together until they're inside of the cylinder - far past the little fan. [|)]
Yes, forget that.
When the roads are good, try a little more air in the tire, or, when your area is clean, you can try a K&N Filter, the engine will get more air.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
RE: Snake Oil Efficiency Improvements

TH - 2/21/2005 8:06 AM

DUTCH - 2/21/2005 12:46 PM
Yes, forget that.
When the roads are good, try a little more air in the tire, or, when your area is clean, you can try a K&N Filter, the engine will get more air.
Just be sure to not oil the K&N filter element or you will kill your Mass Air Flow Sensor. However, I would, be very reluctant to use a K&N filter in dusty Texas.

·
Registered
2002 G-500, FC-170
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank all those that replied. The information is extemely useful.

Sincerest--Kevin Walker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts