Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86' 190E 2.3L
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the touch up paint you order from these places they only come in "FLAT" base coat (does not have semi/glossy finish), requiring you to apply a clear coat afterwards. When you do apply the clear coat, the paint color have a yellowish appearance.

I prefer the touch up paints from the dealer, they have a semi glossy finish to it...too bad they don't come in a spray can.

·
Premium Member
'85 W201.601; '13 X204.651
744 Posts
Order locally at a high quality auto paint supplier. They have the formulas to mix all Mercedes colors and they will be glossy as original. Mine was. Most will also add a lighter shade to try to make up for any fading on older paint. Mine did.

·
Registered
86' 190E 2.3L
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Order locally at a high quality auto paint supplier. They have the formulas to mix all Mercedes colors and they will be glossy as original. Mine was. Most will also add a lighter shade to try to make up for any fading on older paint. Mine did.
Thanks! I'll look into that. I prefer the all-in-one solution. :D

You get the yellow'ish color when you use clear coats that don't have UV protection.
They have it separate since it applies better and lasts longer when the base coat is separate from the clear.
Didn't know clear coat with UV protection "WON'T" yellow.
I didn't get their clear coat with the base paint, just use some dupi-color clear off the shelf. Doesn't say it has UV protection or not, I am assuming it does.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
How come the touch up paint you order from these places they only come in "FLAT" base coat (does not have semi/glossy finish), requiring you to apply a clear coat afterwards. When you do apply the clear coat, the paint color have a yellowish appearance.

I prefer the touch up paints from the dealer, they have a semi glossy finish to it...too bad they don't come in a spray can.
If you order from the dealer, they come with a separate bottle of clear coat, if the color code requires both.

Single-stage touch up paint only has one bottle when purchased at the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts