Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHEN DRIVING, sometimes I use the touchshift feature. Is it normal that it takes a few seconds to process my shift change? When I start out driving in 1st, and I want to upshift to 2nd and then to third as if it were a true manual, takes a good 3 - 4 seconds. I drove a 5 series BMW with steptronic and the shifts were ABSOLUTLY INSTANT.
Whats the deal with this?
I know AMG cars have SPEEDSHIFT which is 30% faster.

Any information will help
THanks
Brad

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Touch Shift does take about 2-3 seconds to realize that you want to upshift or downshift. ...

Touch Shift does take about 2-3 seconds to realize that you want to upshift or downshift. Touch Shift is not a real manual transmission so don't expect much from it! I only use it when I'm in a big hurry.

My questions to you:

- Do you lift your foot from the accelerator when you upshift like in a real manual transmission? At first that's what I thought but then I found out it worked just as well if you continue to press down.

- The display on the dash shows "1-4", that means "D" is the 5th gear, right?

- If you were driving manually, do you nudge the lever back to "1" when you stop for a red light or stop sign? I found out that even if it is in "3" you can still accelerate unlike a real manual transmission.

- Overall, I think Touch Shift is strange and full of mysteries.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
response

I use touchshift a lot actually as it is a bit more spirited in the driving experiance. However, i am not very happy with it's response to my command. I am 22 and never drove a manual, but my friends have manuals, and even tipronics and steptronics (porsche bmw) and it acts like a true manual. You cant accellerate in 3rd gear and it autmatically brings you to 2nd gear for starting. also, if you upshift to 5 for no reason, the car will not accellerate until you lower the gear. THAT is the closest to manual you can get. I dont like the touchshift because it is incredibly fake and it is just like any car where you put it in drive 2 or drive 3 for more revs.

To answer your questions in order:

- I keep my foot on the gas the entire time while shifting. I used to take it off when i upshifted but found i did not accelerate enough.

- I THINK SO!! D must mean 5 but that would be false anyways because you cant start a car in 5th gear. So what does that mean? we only have control of gears 1-4??? Makes NOOOOOOOOO sense. boy is mercedes dumb. hehe

- Sometimes i nudge it to 1 just so i can hear the engine downshift but i know it does not matter whether you start driving from 0mph in 1st gear or 4th gear. makes no difference. same acceleration

- I agree. I dont understand what touchshift is really. nothing is clear about it, and the delay is VERY annoying and makes you realize the car isnt doing what you are instructing it to do.

Bradley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable "touch shift" on a mercedes? I have inadvertently hit the shifter a few times myself and I'd hate it if my girlfriend were to borrow the car and drive it around in first gear all day by mistake.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable "touch shift" on a mercedes? I have inadvertently hit the shifter a few times myself and I'd hate it if my girlfriend were to borrow the car and drive it around in first gear all day by mistake.

thanks for the help.
Easiest way is to teach your girlfriend how to use TouchShift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really, is there no way to disable touch-shift?

I purchased an automatic car, I have no interest in pretending it's a manual.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
It should NOT take 2 seconds to shift manually, you might have a problem with your car. Also do not lift off throttle when shifting, keep it at the same level.

On disabling it, no cause for worry, once you approach redline it shifts automatically so avoid damage to powertrain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts