Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
C230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please tell me: My K&N filter came in and I phoned my MB dealer to ask if he'd install it. He told me the oil and silicone (?) in the filter will make the "check engine" light go on. True or BS?

Thanks for your help [}:)]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
K&N filters and MAS

This will happen when someone cleans his filter and then puts too much oil on it. It should not happen with a new filter.

·
Registered
C 240 2002
9 Posts
installation

How do install the air filters in the W 203? i can't seem to figure out how to remove the engine cover. thanks!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6MT
462 Posts
there are clips underneath i thnk about 6 of them, jus unclip them and the whole cover will come off

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I'm assuming you have a C230 Coupe. You'll need a Torx #20 screwdriver. There are 8 scre...

I'm assuming you have a C230 Coupe. You'll need a Torx #20 screwdriver. There are 8 screws that hold that filter in place underneath the silver Mercedes Benz nameplate in front of the engine. It should only be a 5 minute job with the correct screwdriver. First, open the hood. Unscrew all 8 screws but to not remove them. Do not remove the reverse torx screw that holds the airbox in. Pull on the lid, remove the old filter, put the K&N in, close the lid, screw the screws back in, close the hood, drive.

I've had my K&N for about a month and no check engine light. Which is unusual because the check engine light has been on 4 times so far in the first year.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Well it could happen...

Someone please tell me: My K&N filter came in and I phoned my MB dealer to ask if he'd install it. He told me the oil and silicone (?) in the filter will make the "check engine" light go on. True or BS?

Thanks for your help [}:)]
We've had more than one MB owner have problems with the Mass Airflow Sensor because of the oil from the filter eventually coating the filter and ruining it. Be careful about this as it is not cheap to replace. Also, you should be aware that the K&N filter lets in more air at the expense of more dust. Not good for your engine!

The M-class owners were just recently discussing this in their forum. Have a look at the following link:
http://forums.benzworld.org/forums/messages.asp?messno=39884&id=21

·
Registered
'01 clk430 & '02 c320 & '99 bmw 540i
10 Posts
RE: Totally Confused!!! - Without reason!

check out this link to the K&N website

http://knfilters.com/faq.htm#6

Specifically questions #7 & #10

Reseting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15-30 minutes is required on some cars... Thats what I had to do on my BMW.

I also got a CE light (after installing K&N), but after cleaning the MAF sensor with (electrical contact cleaner- non residue type, which is safe for plastic) and reseting the ECU, the problem went away.

I feel sorry for all the people that are victim to the often scammed action by the dealer to replace the MAF sensors as they are not cheep. Co-incidentally I would suspect the dealer kept the old ones also..LOL!

BTW I am very careful with the maintenance on both the BMW and Lexus and would never jepordize the reliabilty with a crappy filter, therefore I use the K&N in both my cars.

Cheers,

Fern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts