Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year old daughter totalled our 190E :( The car held up well and protected my daughter when it snapped a telephone pole in half. She swerved off of the road when she says a car (that never stopped after the wreck), swerved into her lane, coming at her. The rear end hit a fire hydrant that was just setting in the dirt (Not connected!) and then the car rolled onto it's roof. The engine, transmission and interior all seem fine, as do the doors (driver's door has a dent that could probably be popped out) and all glass except for the windshield. The "body shell" is only good for scrap. Any idea what the car might be worth for those parts? We only had liability insurance :( I'm toying with the idea of buying another 2.6 with a blown engine and/or tranny for dirt cheap and swapping my motor/tranny and interior.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Thats really sad to hear but I am glad your daughter is alright. It seems only so recent that the car was handed over.

Think of what could have happened if she was driving a honda or otherwise. The 190 series is a great first car and gives the driver a new found confidence in the way the drive and how they perform. Buying a shell would be a great new venture, being that you now have a copious amount of knowledge of the w201 maint bills on other cars may kill you. ;)

Again I'm glad to hear your daughter is safe.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about the 190E, especially after all the hard work that you put into fixing it up before giving it to your daughter. Glad to hear the car did it's job and protected her. I think it would be a good idea to swap all the good parts into another 190E w/ a clean body.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
glad to hear shes ok. i had a similar incident with my 85 and slammed into a tribute. not quite as bad. the 190e are real safe. i couldnt let go of the car and had a wrecked 190 in the driveway for a few months and built another one from a shell basically. gonna do it again my car is still the shell and i bought a 190 that was wrecked. you can probably find a nice shell somewhere. good luck with everything.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
maybe, my potential parts car looks like it its gonna be a parts car. i wont know till its warmer. there are actually a few cars around here for sale that have motor issues and good for the shell.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sorry for you to hear about this. Your daughter was lucky not to have been injured. Did the airbag engage? Well now, after the trauma of the accident has worn off, you will have the option to trying another 190e..Get another one and use the parts from your totalled one. While the engine and transmission seem ok, don't count on it, especially the transmission. Good luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was glad to see the 15 year old airbad did deploy! I started working on getting the engine running again today. I bought a tow strap to move the car in my driveway and to pull the drivers side quarter panel away from the engine. I'd love to get it running to the point where it would roll so I can check on the trannys functionality. Unfortunately the front drivers side wheel is shoved back into the wheel well.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
got pics?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take some tomorrow. I've been to sick (emotionally) to take any yet. I should have taken some of it setting upside down with the broken telephone behind it :(

Can someone tell me what year range of 2.6 190E's are going to have the EXACT same engine bay setup as my car? If I do a swap of my engine and tranny into another 190E, it would be nice if the engine bay's in both car were EXACTLY the same. This would be my first time undertaking something this advanced!

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
i think all 2.6s work but the car-parts interchange states 90-93 and 87-89 are the brackets. i know how you feel, it was the same way when i lost my first 190. it took me a week before i shot these pics..

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
WOW...make sure u cover up the engine real good.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Oh man those pictures made me cringe, especially how the piece above the radiator got peeled back :eek: Was the hood pulled off during the accident, or did you remove it later?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

I removed the hood, bumper, wheel, quarter panel and the piece that goes across the top of the radiator.
I'm trying to pull all the sheetmetal back so I can go about seeing what all needs to repaired to get the engine to fire up.
I wish I had a plasma cutter! (and knew how to use it :))

·
Registered
369 Posts
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! is all I feel, physically, and mentally. This is my worst nightmare. At least she wasn't hurt. I hope that the Engine and Tranny are still good, and the swap works out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE!
I bought a $500 90/91(?) 190E 2.6 from Orlando that I found on Craigslist. I'm paying a shipping company (Magical Transport[?]) $400 to bring it to me. It would probably have cost me $200 just in gas to make the 800 mile round trip, not to include a lot of my time. I'll need to put the "good" front passenger door from my old car onto this one, along with most of my old car's interior. The car has been setting for several months. The seller said it runs, but the alternator is locked up. If it does run, I'l probably just give it a tune up and drive it as is until I decide to do the engine/tranny transplant. Here are some pics of the $500 car...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts