Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry about the car. I was an adjuster for Progressive for fifteen years. Please feel free to hit me with any questions related to the claim. Who violated who's right of way?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Damn... It sucks that it happened, but the car sure took it like a champ. Mercedes have always been extremely safe cars. How did it happen?

·
Registered
lots.....low rider, hot rod, sports, well fair lady lol, model t's and model a's, oh yea a s benz...
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was backing out of a drive way she was speeding, 5 car lengths of skid....yea 35 mph i dont think so......sure glad i was not in my drop top

Attachments

·
Registered
lots.....low rider, hot rod, sports, well fair lady lol, model t's and model a's, oh yea a s benz...
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one thing for sure i am getting another one......going looking tommorow found one with 98000 mi my benz freind said nothing later that 2002 cause they are not built as well

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
OUCH!!

Hope no one was hurt.

What will be the replacement?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats funny i heard from 3 diff mbz mechanics (freinds) 2000-2002 was the one to get if buying a s

·
Registered
330 Posts
The car got blasted the first three years of production for poor reliability. A facelift and the much improved wide screen COMAND came for 04/05/06. I've had an 06 and an 04, no complaints. As for the accident, fifteen feet of skid marks plus the degree of damage probably puts her closer to 50 than 35. It's not going to do you any good. If she was doing 100 you still will have violated her right of way. Good luck with the search. AutoTrader.com is your friend.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
one thing for sure i am getting another one......going looking tommorow found one with 98000 mi my benz freind said nothing later that 2002 cause they are not built as well
The structure of the W220 bodies are exactly the same; they differ only by the few styling variations, which are not structural. The later models have better rustproofing (cladding on both sides of the steel), and from '04 and on they have a superior clear coat that protects the paint better (and therefore is also less likely to allow rust).

Your friends don't know what they are talking about.

Read the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia toward the top of the main W220 page; the buying recommendations are toward the bottom. Then make up your mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was told the 2002 and earlier have less mechanical problems (electrical), he works at a dealer everyday, and said thats what he prefers... i asked him what he would buy if getting used and that is what he said....he sees everything that comes in...so maybe he does know something..lol not trying to stir anything up ...but im going with what he says...have mentioned it to other mbz mechanics and they tend to agree but thanks for the input

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
908 Posts
i was told the 2002 and earlier have less mechanical problems (electrical), he works at a dealer everyday, and said thats what he prefers... i asked him what he would buy if getting used and that is what he said....he sees everything that comes in...so maybe he does know something..lol not trying to stir anything up ...but im going with what he says...have mentioned it to other mbz mechanics and they tend to agree but thanks for the input
Well, you should listen to him then :) Good luck !

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
OK - but if you buy a '00 with a "C" nav system, you will find you can get no nav CDs later than 2004. You are stuck with data that is 8 years old. I don't know how long MB will support the nav CDs for '01 through '03. You cannot buy them through NavTeq any more (NavTeq makes them) - you are directed to the dealer. But the nav DVDs for '04 and later are updated. And while you can equip the older cars with Bluetooth, you are stuck with an older puck that is compatible with fewer and fewer phones. If you are interested in the Tele-Aid or MBRACE service (akin to OnStar), you face a $1k equipment upgrade, where the '05 and later can do it without the upgrade. And a '00 may not be able to be upgraded at all (depends on the VIN). You can find out more if you read what I recommended in the Encyclopedia.

And in fact, it was the older COMAND equipment that MB rushed into production and that failed frequently, harming the W220's reputation, that your buddies say fails less. That's simply not true. Further, D2B was a proprietary system used only by MB (it was licensed to VW for a few cars, but that is it) - while the MOST system used in '04 and later are industry standard. Very little 3rd party equipment is made for D2B fiber optics (there is some) - but there is a LOT for MOST fiber optics. Good luck with finding a CD changer replacement for D2b; if you can, you'll pay through the nose. And if you want to add an iPod, for example, to a D2B model and have it read out the song title, artist, album and other info on the COMAND screen - forget it. The older HUs are not capable of displaying text input.

And let's see - which is more likely to fail - 12 year old electronics in a '00, or 6 year old equipment in an '06?

Problems were far more frequent in the Airmatic struts in earlier systems. Upper strut seals were a particular problem. The struts have been improved over time, including for the '03 and later models, and while it is a truism that any air suspension will fail at some time, the failures are less frequent in the newer cars.

And as I said earlier - the structure of the bodies is identical. The claim that the later models are "not built as well" are bogus - and the story has changed from how well built they are, to allegations of electronics failures. Garbage. Take it from an engineer. And the '04 and later have better rustproofing and better paint protection (the zinc rustproofing is on both sides of the metal on the later models; on only one side in the earlier ones).

I am not telling you that the '00-'02 are bad cars and to avoid them. They are not bad cars. Perhaps the ease of adding newer cell phones isn't of concern to you. Perhaps you don't like the MB nav, and prefer a separate GPS. Perhaps you don't care about adding an mp3player, or the mp3 DVD capability in the later model years. Perhaps you want to rip out the audio system and put in a 3rd party system. Or maybe you just prefer spending the price difference on something besides a car. It is all up to you.

But anyone who tells you that the early w220s have superior build quality, that their electronics are more reliable, or that their suspensions fail less often, is either woefully ignorant or is lying.

And I would tend to take the experience of the owners of these cars, who have no financial stake in what they tell you, against that of folks who get richer by fixing older cars that break down more often. I have given you the best I can after nearly 8 years of reading this forum, and after owning both a '00 and a '05. Some of the other members have also.

Good luck, it's your money and your decision - but don't say we didn't tell you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Before I bought my 04, I ran it over to my local independent MB shop. The tech and owner opened the shop together twenty five years ago. He's as good as they come. He liked the fact it was an 04... clear headlamps, widescreen navi, etc His only concern was a very expensive engine malfunction that occurred as the result of a defective part installed during the early production run on the 4.3 liter engine. Something to do with an internal gear disintegrating, and having to pull the engine to get at it. He had done a few, and they ran $5,000. He was able to rule it out by the VIN.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey thanks for the input..............

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ended up getting a 2000 one owner granma car with 115k mi.....got my fingers crossed that its a good 1...........time will tell

·
Registered
330 Posts
And of course the 4.3 liter engine was used in the earlier models as well - since the '00 model year.
I think there was something about the split happening in the 04 model year specifically. But I could be wrong. I was so excited about getting the car I don't really remember much ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
ended up getting a 2000 one owner granma car with 115k mi.....got my fingers crossed that its a good 1...........time will tell
Grandma like to drive a bit, apparently. I bought my 04 grandma car in January with 34k on the clock. Now that's my kind of Grandma.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hopefully she was not related to the little old lady from pasadena...........lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts