Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
300se
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recieved my fathers 1992 300se when he got his new S-Class. I love the car but the stock bose/becker system has to go. I have redone a Honda sound system and I understand that in no way is it going to be as easy but am ready for the challenge. However I have all the parts I need for the system except for possibly some wiring. I have gone to different car audio shops and cannot stand how they try to rip you off no matter what. So I intend to install everything myself.

I plan to run entirely new speaker wire to all the speakers from the front doors to the trunk and from the read doors to the head unit and RCA's from the head unit to the trunk.

My setup Includes:
-Alpine CDA-7894
-JBL 180.2 Amp (for front stage speakers)
-JL XR653-CS 3-ways (front doors and dash, powered by JBL 180.2)
-MB Quart 4" Coaxial (rear door, powered by headunit)
-JBL 1200.1 (subwoofer amp)
-2 Image Dynamics IDMAX (powered by subwoofer)

For the install I was wondering if anyone had instructions on the head unit and door install. For the head unit I understand I am going to have to run a wire for the antena. Also, what kind of wire do you use for the antena and for running the wire I understand the best way is to go through the passenger side footwell. I am going to have to run RCA cables to the trunk and speaker wire to the back doors for the new speakers, should I take this route for all of the above?

Furthermore, For the speakers I am going to need to get under the carpet near the doors to run the wire. What is the easiest way to do so?

For the doors what is the best way to go about taking the panels off and if I added dynamat would it affect the soft-closing feature because of the added weight?

Thank you in advance for the help and I am looking foward to the install.

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
140 sound

Here goes, to the best of my knowledege. The radio in the dash is only a controller, the tuner is in the trunk and there is a cable between them, the tuner also acts as a common point beween the CD which is routed thru it. There is a seven channel (BOSE) amp that sits over the wheel well, this has been known to fail "alot" $600 worth. All the speaker leads go to this unit, except the two speakers at thr outbord end of the dash which get their audio from the cell phone option and are either live or dormant (not installed without the phone. The speaker boxes contain two speakers and are an assembly, this is not a HONDA, the doors also have the controls for the seats/mirrors/and the locking switch. I am pretty good, but still have regrets on pulling of the door panels, the seat contol and doorpanels are a "bitch" in weight and getting it all back together. I look at your question and shake my head, the closing would not be affected since it is a funtion of the latches, but that is another story if your pump ever goes bad, and they do have a bad history. It seems everything goes to the trunk, I dont know why you would want to run new wires but remenber the wires to the doors run thru unique connectors that also contain vacum/pressure lines and lots of other things. This is probably not what you expected to hear....

· Registered
300se
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it done...

Well, after a while, I took it to Tweeter and got an estimate. After adding everything up they came up with $420 for labor and I have absolutly no regrets. This price including running new speaker wires to my front speakers from the trunk, installing a head unit and running the antenna line, running 2 sets of RCA's, building speaker plates for my front doors, taking out the rear deck speakers and installing 2 amps. After watching them do much of the work I am so happy that I had them do it. It was definatly alot of work, and they said the car was the best built he had ever worked on. After finishing, he said he underquoted it alot, but I was happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.