Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my torsion bearings/bushing/pad/whatever they're called because I was getting the telltale snap-crackle-and pop. Probable my problem, but I bought ultra-cheap ebay no-name ones. they lasted about a week otwo. Then I bought Uro from rockauto. They lasted about a month. Each time I scrape the bracket clean of all adhesive residue and use a dab of black silicone along the bottom and wire brush the torsion bar end clean of all plastic residue. The only thing I didn't do is replace that thin square shim looking piece because mine were in good shape.

Any ideas why I'm getting so little life out of them? Is it the cheap parts? They're not breaking or cracking, just the noises come back in short order.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
If you have to scrape worn plastic from lever then obviously friction there causes galling.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, actually what I said was I scrape the adhesive residue from the bracket, I wire brush the torsion bar end to clean of plastic residue. Which the first time i changed them was a bit, but the second time almost none.

But, thank you, I will try greasing/lubricating them before I go buying a third set. The attached is what I drew my conclusion it was not to be greased.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nevermind, that PDF is contradictory. In the directions, it states nothing of greasing the torsion bar end, yet if you read the notes on page 2 it says to grease the torsion bar end

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,663 Posts
I used rubber grease on mine. Never used an adhesive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured the adhesive wasn't necessary, I did it just cause that's how it came factory.

I looked up optimol lube. I may try an alternative, as that stuff is pretty pricey

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,971 Posts
I figured the adhesive wasn't necessary, I did it just cause that's how it came factory.

I looked up optimol lube. I may try an alternative, as that stuff is pretty pricey
I recall member David (200 E 320 White Wagon) using a grease lube on his torsion bearings not too long ago.
You can search it up if you like. He may have even had a utube video of it.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
Sorry spelled it wrong Optimol is correct spelling.

From:Castrol Molub-Alloy™ Paste White T (previously Optimol White T) - 44 LB / 20 KG Pail

Molub-Alloy™ Paste White T (previously named Optimol™ Paste White T) is excellently suited for all assembly work aswell as for base or thin-film lubrication. White, almost colorless when applied as thin layer. The paste prevents frettingcorrosion and facilitates assembly and disassembly. It is resistant to hot and cold water and protects against corrosion.
Formally known as Castrol Optimol White T.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, wanting to use what I had laying around, I went with a synthetic silicone/ceramic hybrid grease that I used for the slides when I did my brakes. It's waterproof and plastic safe, now to see how long it lasts. But it was an immediate improvement. No more snapping noise.

Now, if only I had read the second page of the instructions before replacing them twice 😔

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
I can picture it now, in a prestine lab in Stuttgart, stands a person in a classic Benz shop coat, with a 20Kg pail of the Castrol on his left. And on the right Injecting 15 cents worth of the Optimol into 5000 4gram packages that the dealers then resells for 3$ each.

If any one ever orders the 3.00$ version let us know how much you get.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to call them and see how much you got. But I figured they would probably want Only like 12 or 13 for shipping on top, lol

·
Premium Member
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,221 Posts
Then I bought Uro from rockauto.
There’s your problem. Mates don’t let mates buy Uro parts.

How much are you saving by selecting the cheapest part on the market?

·
Registered
2001 ML320
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually try to stay away from uro parts. But I was already ordering other stuff from rockauto, and that's all they had.

·
Registered
99 ML320
2 Posts
I replaced the plastic one with the polyurethane pads from FCP after my ML fell into a deep pot hole and broke the original pad. That was the best worth upgrade done to the suspension 5 yrs ago and it is under lifetime warranty too!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
I replaced the plastic one with the polyurethane pads from FCP after my ML fell into a deep pot hole and broke the original pad. That was the best worth upgrade done to the suspension 5 yrs ago and it is under lifetime warranty too!
Thanks for the tip was wondering the other day if there were urethane pads made. Do you have a part number?

·
Registered
99 ML320
2 Posts
FCPEuro upgraded their web site lately which now does not display all the parts under the Category tree. Search for "Mercedes Torsion Bar Bearing Pad Kit - Super Pro SPF2844K".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts