Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so have been offered two German torque wrenches to choose from no1 covers 100-500nm and no2 covers 140-700nm.
If I could I would buy both ! However, I am thinking of buying No1 as a keeper and for travelling. will this cover most things ? Or should I bite the bullet, give up wine for 4 months and buy no 2 ?

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
Are they both 3/4 drive?

100/500nm comes out to 73/368 FT Lbs
This would work for a lot of the lower tq items such as head bolts, wheels on most cars, most engine TQ settings. ETC but I’m going to assume it is ¾ drive… might be kind of big for those sub 271nm - 200 ftlbs bolts, and dealing with a reducer is cumbersome and or having ¾ sockets is expensive. Also Im going to assume it has a fairly long handle, again on a small motor like the OM352 its going to be longer then the motor.

140/700nm comes out to 103/516 FT Lbs
Almost guaranteed it’s going to come in a few pieces and or be very long. 4-5 feet worth.
It will TQ anything I can think of on a Unimog, Hub to axle studs come to mind, I think they are in the 450nm Range.
Obviously overkill for small bolts and or can’t go low enough for say any small car ETC.

I have ¾ 200 X 600 FT lbs
http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=C4D600F
Precision Instruments split beam and I love it, but I really only use it on the big stuff or for loosening up items that are really stuck, ¾ drive gives you the ability to turn what won’t turn without bending like the ½ drive. Mine is also reversible so no issues with CCW vs CW
I have a 14mm 17mm 19mm and few large sockets but really only use it on the axle bolts like hub to axle, wheel to hub, disk to hub bolts, and caliper bolts. I can’t see using it on a motor of a Unimog but I know it is used on larger motors in heavy equipment. ITs almost a 2 person job to use it.

My advice is to get a big ¾ drive so it will do any job, and then a nice ½ drive for the smaller stuff like head work, smaller cars, pickups ETC. and a 3/8 for the small stuff and a 1/4.... I think the 100/500 would work but you might find something that will want more than 500nm whether you feel it’s needed to be at 520 VS 500 is up to you. This is where having the big daddy 140/700 would be nice, but again the only bolt that I know of that’s near this range is the hub to axle bolts on the 8 and 10 lug Unimog axles but im sure there are more. I'm also going to assume the 100/500 is more of a nitch wrench and may also have a tighter accuracy of a percentage or 2.

If they are both the same price and both ¾ drive, my vote would be bigger one.

If one is ½ and one is ¾ I would say unless you feel the need for ¾ the ½ would be used a lot more with the exception of a few odd ball bolts. And you can always buy a cheap 3/4 breaker bar for the hard bolts.

I missed the travel part.... um... mine is in a small case and I would travel with it no issues, As a side note I believe Trevor has the same TQ wrench as me and carries it in his Unimog all the time.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, 3/4 drive both of them and 1piece construction. $400 and $600 respectively.
I allready have a 1/2 drive 20-200nm electronic torque wrench that works a treat on the little stuff. So I am more concerned with the bigger stuff - like having to replace the hub seals whilst traveling - frenchian currently having this exact problem comes to mind ! I am thinking (hoping) anything bigger than 500nm, I am likely to encounter only whilst at home - in which case I can beg/steal or hire. What is there on the Mog that requires torqueing higher than 500nm ?
Its is a PITA not having my workshop manual here - but then I cannot carry the silly thing back and forth on the airplane all the time !

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,439 Posts
If I had to choose one, I'd go for #2.
Bigger is better...at least that's, what women say.

·
Registered
86 U1300L camper in Africa
273 Posts
I carry 3 - a big one (200-800Nm, about 4 feet long) that sits vertically in a clip next to the drivers seat (where the rifle would have been), a medium one (50(?)-220Nm 1/2") and a small "fine" 1/2" too for smaller work.
I used the "big one" today to do the front portal seal - the 10 bolts need torquing beyond 220Nm - and I always check the wheel nuts (400Nm) with it - particularly before/on/after rough roads (ie almost every day!).
To some it's maybe overkill, but I've used all 3 in the last 2 months.

Ian

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.....Bigger is better...at least that's, what women say.
You lucky dog you :D

Anyway, I have just about convinced myself to go with the 500nm one.
Some women say size doesn't matter, it is the quality that realy matters, so with a possible accuracy improvement of 5%, thats where I will go. And I don't have to give up drinking :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, your input has helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts