Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1976 U1500 AG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally have my PTO put back together, but cannot find any specs in my manual for the large retaining nut that holds everything in place, also can't find any info on proper grease for the bearings. Truck is a 425 121.

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
There might be something in the clicky below. I presume that the PTO torques will be standard across the range? Try the 'other page' link at the top.

Actually, having a flip through, yes, if the models are the same the PTO1 link has all the information you're looking for.

·
Registered
1976 U1500 AG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip dxmedia, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have anything related to the pto stub which the implement would hook into. There is a very large 50mmish size nut that retains the bearings in the housing at the very rear of the truck and in between the two bearings within the housing a bushing which seems to determine the preload on the bearings. It seems as though the nut would also have something to do with preloading.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Where's Mogish? He may have dealt with that during his PTO episode.

·
Registered
1976 U1500 AG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trev, Mine looks a bit different from what I can see in the exploded view, seems about where #54 is in your version is a large nut that holds things in place in mine. Don't see an equivalent sin your view. Alaskat I need to go back to Mogish's posts , but his is a bit different than mine as well.

·
Registered
1976 U1500 AG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In terms of lubricants, my housing has a grease zirk and it was full of grease when it grenaded. Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
I seem to remember on the older mogs (U900's maybe) they had oil in them, maybe just the front one, but it usually seeped out, so a popular change over was to put a Zirk in and pump it full of grease, but I have no doubt yours originally had a grease zirk.

Perhaps its worth a Call to Atkinson Vos, they do a lot of AG spec mogs, and retrofits, I bet they know how tight to tighten that nut. If nobody else on the forum pipes up beforehand.

·
Registered
1976 U1500 AG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the plot thickens. I found some info on the lubricant, and it looks as though it should take .1 liter of 80 weight gear oil. So the question is do I switch back, and if so do I change out the zirk with a plug? Guess the other question is how would I torque the retaining nut since there is no way to get a socket on it in the first place with the pto shaft in the way?

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
I would stick with frequent greasing's, if you search back, lots of guys with the oil in the pto box's leaked, and switched to grease, without ill effects.

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
Can someone add a photo? Having R&R my PTO I'm lost can't imagine someone who hasn't ..... would love to clarify things for me and others that might read this now and latter Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts