Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 435 U1300L Krankenwagen
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a foolproof way of checking preload on the torque ball shells without using the MB special tool? I have a U1300L. I read that the front should just support its own weight but the rear?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, looked at this in a bit more detail. It seems the tool is 2 part. An adapter that mirrors the transfer case (to seat the shims) and an extension tube to apply/measure the force/weight. Has anyone bought/made one?

·
Premium Member
U-1300, 3 ea 406, 3 ea 404, Haflinger, 2 ea LMTV.
96 Posts
This "ain't by the book" but a good idea of the mating slack of the torque tube ball can be obtained by blocking the tires on the other axle and gently powering forward and backward, causing that axle to move with respect to the truck. The torque tube will show any slack movement. A second person is helpful unless you have a max reading dial indicator gauge. Chaining the truck to a tree works well too :)

Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This "ain't by the book" but a good idea of the mating slack of the torque tube ball can be obtained by blocking the tires on the other axle and gently powering forward and backward, causing that axle to move with respect to the truck. The torque tube will show any slack movement. A second person is helpful unless you have a max reading dial indicator gauge. Chaining the truck to a tree works well too :)

Bob
Thanks Bob. My tubes are off the truck but I hired the correct tool from my local dealer so everything's good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts