Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed some maintenance by cleaning my duovalve. The plungers seemed stuck when trying to remove them, so I pried the 2 rubber pieces off the bottom of the mounting plate, where the stems ended, not realizing it was part a gasket. I managed to re-install the rubber pieces on the bottom. My plunger stems are different from the plungers posted in the DIY sticky. With this rubber gasket virtually gone, can this be a problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Duovalve repaired & heat restored!

This is an update to my problem of trying to clean the duovalves that caused a torn gasket. I did a search on how to restore my heater b/c cold air blows out even on a HI temperature setting. My research led me to a DIY article on peachparts.com where the OP had a similar problem. He determined that the rubber o-rings in the duovalve swell over time and restrict the plungers from controlling coolant flow. All you need is a 5/16 drill bit and rubber flat faucet washers from Home Depot that cost $1.60! I now have my heater working again and, according to the write up, was able to re-use the old gaskets as well. This repair is for the E420/E300 because it has 4 ports, however, this treatment will produce the same result regardless of model. This saved me a $200 replacement part.
***I think this should be added to the stickies***
How I fixed my duovalve (W210), got my heat back and saved myself $250! - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts