Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the top speed you guys have driven in yours?
seems that it is stated in the manual do not run the rpm past 3000 for extended time, which translates to approx 80mph or 130km/h
are the gear (transmission and read end) setups different for US models then our German models?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Well I don't know what "extended time" is defined as, cause I bomb around the roads well over 3,000 for a good amount of time. My guess would be just watch your temps, make sure they don't get elevated. As for highway cruising, shouldn't really be a problem, highways are where engines run best, they got the good airflow and consistent RPMs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
do not run for extended periods of time over 3K rpm?... i run my car most of the time more than that...i guess you'd just have to keep check on your temp when you do run it hard...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
my car has allegedly done 130mph, with lots still on the tachometer. but its a "lowly" 2.6. you might do better with the bigger engines in your cars.

in my case the dark (1am, empty freeway, middle of nowhere between phoenix and los angeles) and poor headlights, even with the fogs and dipped beam, meant sanity prevailed, and that sojourn at high speed was brief. allegedly!!!!!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
The way the TE is geared, it runs at 3300 rpm at 65 mph. I've had mine up to 100 mph and that is plenty fast for me.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
are you running slightly undersized tires on that badboy alex?

the coupe, wagon, and 2.6 should all have the 3.27 diff. on mine (2.6 with slightly oversize (speedo is dead on) 205/65-15) 65mph is about 3000

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
stock. but i don't do a lot of flat land driving if that makes a difference...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really, only 100? I let off the gas and coasted down from 120 many times on my way home from night classes. I have the 3.2L in my '95 wagon and it was still accelerating hard when I let off the gas each time. I was tempted many times to race a friend of mine in his turbo neon from 80 to 120 but never did. These cars do really well at the higher speeds. Its kind of boring, actually. Too easy.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I didn't say I couldn't have gone faster than 100....

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Ditto that. I have been well in excess of maximum stupidity on a number of occassions. Once I approached 5200 rpm in top gear, too scared to look at the speedo. You can do the calculation; I plead the 5th ( a wonderful part of the American Constitution).

P.S. I have agreed with my Benz to never do it again so long as she gets me to 200K...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ditto that. I have been well in excess of maximum stupidity on a number of occassions. Once I approached 5200 rpm in top gear, too scared to look at the speedo. You can do the calculation; I plead the 5th ( a wonderful part of the American Constitution).

P.S. I have agreed with my Benz to never do it again so long as she gets me to 200K...

Hmmm, 125mph .....
200K shouldn't be a problem but there will be some major wear/tear things that could be expensive if you want to keep it. I'm at 290K km = 181K miles.

There are several things that I've noticed seem to require REPLACEMENT at around 10 years/150K miles/240K km:

1. blower motor;
2. blower regulator;
3. front springs/struts/Lower control arms;
4. accumulators + hydraulic fluid flush/fill.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hmmm, 125mph .....
200K shouldn't be a problem but there will be some major wear/tear things that could be expensive if you want to keep it. I'm at 290K km = 181K miles.

There are several things that I've noticed seem to require REPLACEMENT at around 10 years/150K miles/240K km:

1. blower motor;
2. blower regulator;
3. front springs/struts/Lower control arms;
4. accumulators + hydraulic fluid flush/fill.
At 254,000 miles i have had no problem with the blower motor or regulator or the suspension components mentioned. I have replaced the accumulators at 200k and flushed the system at 230k to maintain.

·
Registered
676 Posts
130 for 10 minutes and nothing less then a 100 for .5 hours... i made it back from Poughdoug back to Mutton Town L.I. in less then an hour

1993 300e 2.8 driving back from a party upstate LAST NIGHT... it was at 4.5k rpm at 120 though so not bad...

just make sure you can trust your tires cause the unevenness in the pavement makes the car bounce so you have to correct your steering and watch your temperature gauge cause mine was actually dropping to a bit lower then 80... and just know your car cause thats important... i kept questioning to myself if i had tightened the lug bolts after i did my brakes!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I got to about 220kmh (135mph) in C280 and it could easily do more, the same in W126 420SE (didn't have much power to accelerate further), about 240km/h in 500SE, about 180km/h in W124 300D (not good - alternator and belt balancer gave up after a prolonged trip - 1600km in 2 days on through germany), now I have 400E and it should have electronically limited 250km/h (but I didn't try yet).

The biggest difference is that all W124s and the C280 I've driven have top speed at approx max RPM on the highest gear. Both W126s had much lower RPMs at those speed and the theoretical speed (max RPM) was way off the scale... Just didn't have the power to reach it under normal conditions. W126 is way better for highway cruising at insane speeds, partly because of this and partly because they are meant to be this way :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
These are built to run flat out on the autobahn all day long so I don't see any issue with the occasional exceeding of the speed limits here. Just be sure you have quality tires, good brakes, and some sanity with what you are doing. On my old W124, you put it in 5th and its got legs, will go lots faster than I'll drive it in this area (see "sanity" above). Also, you don't do this with any traffic as even on multi-lane freeways, those you are overtaking have never dealt with 75-80 mph closing speeds from behind and will unintentionally pull out in front of you.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Had an E60 @ 6500 in 4th for a bit before the computer pulled us back to 6000..so figure 160+ Had a Hammer up around 145ish..
A few E420's around 140...
My 'little' wagon will still do 120 as of a few days ago!

Jono

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
My 230,000 mile Bornite 500E was running 145 catching up with Torque Monster driven by Jono in the post above me. I look down for two friggin seconds and he launches. It still had plenty of room from what I could feel but since I caught up, we slowed down a bit.

Who would do such a thing?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Had a stretch of open empty highway with no on/off ramps for a good 5 miles ahead of me a few nights ago so I went for it.... took the E420 from 80-120. First time over 100 since buying... the thing just launches from 80, absolutely amazing. It felt like I could have taken it further, but I was approaching another highway merge area that usually has moderate traffic flow at any given hour so I backed off. Be smart with speed. I think I have fallen in love with the M119.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts