Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Top speed of 402 hp 600sel. -how to turn off the ASR

5725 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Goatman
I am a young guy trying to find the top speed of my car. The car has 402 hp!
what is the top speed of the 600sel? I got mine up to allitle over 150 but ran out of space. at 150 it was at 5K rpm. at that rate I would think that it is Rev limited at allitle over 160mph. Is there a speed limitor on the car? Will I have a higher top speed if I get 20' rims w/ bigger tires? I will be making a website with films of me burning a 98 M3 on the highway from a standstill. I also I have over 20 min of crazy racing film that I made. Check this forum for the website in about 6-8 weeks. Also, how can I turn off the ASR? Is there a switch because I cant find it. will I have to pull the fuze? -can i pull the fuze. Any info on how to make my car perform better will help alot. thank you -Kristian[:)]

[:)]
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
W140 S300 TD
67 Posts
S600 top speed.

Here in Europa, speed limit is 250 km/h (i.e. 157 mph). I don't know how to disconnect the speed limit but many owners in Germany use to do this.
I've got a 300 TD W140 and there's an ASR switch on the dashboard. But it's a 96's series. From which series belong your MB ?

Sorry for my poor english.

Stephane.

P.S.: Be careful with "power chips". It's a common thing in Europa with every models but it generally doesn't come with reliability.
I had real sport's cars (better than 911 or M3 or Ferrari 348) and I can tell you not to use Power-chips. You can improve your air admission easily and get more torque.

· Registered
19 Posts
Do you live in the US? If so, there are few places where you can exercise the top speed...

Do you live in the US? If so, there are few places where you can exercise the top speed of a V12 benz w/out endangering all other users of the road. The only place I've seen people go 140+ is on hwy 280 in the SF bay area on a Sunday in the very early morning and the highways on the way to Vegas from CA.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Highway 280. will find top speed there!

Thank you Chris for letting me know that 280 is the place to go. I live in Greenbrae, close to Larkspur and San Rafael. I will try 280 in a few weeks. The places that I have gone fast on in the past have been Lakeville hwy, hwy 37, and north on 101 as you go down hill passing the civic center in San Rafael.
Highway 37 has two parts that are about 3 miles long but the road is very bumpy. How is the road surface on 280? Is it two lanes? Also is there alot of police there. I normally race as you said "in the early morning". How do you like the S420? I am planning on getting new rims but am still deciding on what type. Did the 18"s fit well on yours? Everyone is telling me to get 19-20" chrome but I will probably get somthing similar to the 18" brushed amg's.
Thanks for the info on 280 and you will probably see some films posted from there in the near future.
Thanks -Kristian

· Registered
19 Posts
280 is good around 6-7 am Sunday, most cops are still eating fresh donuts at that time. N...

280 is good around 6-7 am Sunday, most cops are still eating fresh donuts at that time. Near (south) of hwy 92 but be careful and get familiar w/ the road first.

I suggest 18's as they look like what the factory should have installed. The tires are a little cheaper than the larger ones but almost insignificant in terms of total cost. I selected the 18s because of the fit and the ride quality. 19s and 20s look cool too, I like the understated look of are the carlsens and the amgs. Look at as many other benzes as you can then decide.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: 182 MPH

Hi, What year was your s600? I have heard that the 92-94 have 402 hp and the 95-99 had 386 hp. Were you past the 6k red line at 182 mph on yours? Why did you sell it? How do you like the E55? I have driven the CLK 55 and was very impressed with the acclleration. From what I have heard, there is not too much difference between the CLK55 and the E55 amg.
Thanks for the info on the S class.
-Kristian

· Registered
E50 AMG
24 Posts
182 m/h

Hi Kristian, My S600 was an european 94 model and it had 408bhp. I sold it because I bought an S600 coupe, tuned by KOENIG SPECIALS. It has 7.2 liters 550bhp V12. I did 200m/h and got scared. Also you are right about the S600 after 1994, the euoropean models had 394bhp.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 550 hp

Hello Roro, I thought 408 hp was cool. I cant even amagine 550 hp! Did you have it tuned by Koenig after you baught it? Around how much would somthing like that cost? Did it have the stock transmission at 550 hp? -Thanks for all the info. -Kristian.
[:D][8D][:D][8D]

· Registered
E50 AMG
24 Posts
Koenig

The car is an original Koenig Special and it does not even has the Mercedes sighn. It costs new $200,000, but I bought it from a friend for $140,000 and it had only 20,000 km. on it. A couple of Years ago, before I had my S600, My father had a Koenig Specials 560SEC. It had a 7.2 liters V8 bi-turbo 700bhp. Usualy Koenig use this engine in the Lamborghini Diablo. It was mad in the 560SEC. We sold it because it had problems with the automatic gearbox. The engine was too powerful for an automatic gearbox and used to break it every month. At the moment I am very happy with my E50 AMG.

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
lok at this guys page it has a company that has ASR, and first gear start mods
http://pag...

lok at this guys page it has a company that has ASR, and first gear start mods
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html

· Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,991 Posts
roro,

You should have some pics of the car right? I would love to see that engine bay ...

roro,

You should have some pics of the car right? I would love to see that engine bay and how they stuffed twin turbos and made them fit. Heck, it is hard enough just trying to make headers for the 560 SEC.

Please post pics or a link so I can see the car. I didn't know Koenig ever did these kind of modifications to a 560 SEC. How did they get 7.2L out of the 5.6L SEC engine? What kind of fuel system did they use? I would imagine you rdad is really familiar with this car so fill us in on the details.

· Registered
E50 AMG
24 Posts
Roro

Hi, I'll be happy to send you pictures of my cars, however I am not very good with computers and I dont know how to send it here. Please give me your e-mail address and I'll send it there. By the way sorry for my mistake, the car is not a 560SEC, I sould have said W126 SEC. The engine is made by KOENIG

· Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,991 Posts
roro,

[quote]I sould have said W126 SEC. The engine is made by KOENIG[/quote]

Is i...

roro,

I sould have said W126 SEC. The engine is made by KOENIG
Is it a 500 SEC? Post the pics on the board so we can all see. I know Koenig made a 7.3 out of the 6.0L V12 but I've never heard of them making a twin-turbo for the V8 126 SEC or any other SEC. The car sounds awsome but lets see some pics of those cars.

· Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,041 Posts
RE: TOP SPEED OF S600

I know this forum is really old, but has anyone ever seen the top speed in their S500s? I have had my 93' up to 135 MPH but ran out of road to go much faster and my 99' to about 130 MPH and experienced the same problem. I'm curious to know the true top speed of the 5.0 liter V-8 W140s. If anyone knows, let me know!
Thanks!

· Registered
85 300SL Euro, 2015 S 550 ,2008 Bentley GT
1,610 Posts
< know this forum is really old, but has anyone ever seen the top speed in their S500s? I have had my 93' up to 135 MPH but ran out of road to go much faster and my 99' to about 130 MPH and experienced the same problem. I'm curious to know the true top speed of the 5.0 liter V-8 W140s. If anyone knows, let me know!
Thanks!>

I don't know excactly, but in Germany they have a regulator at 160 MPH what,so it should run probably close to 190 MPH.
The 135 MPH what you reached I did with my european 300SL (107),which is a 6 Cylinder with 188 HP

· Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,231 Posts
mine feels great at 165 mph ..and felt like I had some spare (measured with GPS system) but I didnt push it .. will try for the top end next year on the AutoBahn in Germany.. I am thinking of driving the ring.. I regularly get 155 mph..and very quickly but I have chipped mine..

· Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,334 Posts
did 138Mph the other day with my 300SE (259248 miles) on my way to cleveland, it felt like it still has some room for more speed, but my driving record has no room for more points, i already have 9 as of today...i dont wanna lose my DL for six month fow few seconds of going "really fast"... as soon as my points count goes down, i am taking her for a real speed test...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.