Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 97 E50 AMG with a removed speed limiter. Top speed is about 285 km/h (that's around 175 mph). I have read that changing the final ratio will take the top speed limit to 305 kmh (190 mph). Does anyone know the right ratio and where is it sold?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If gearing is correct, a very good approximation is that top speed increases with third squar-root of the engine power (pure physics). <br>
<br>
Using E320 (fastest E-class without limted top speed) as a reference (221hp/235 km/h), 347 hp would give a theoretical top-speed of 273 km/h , which very well could match 285 on speedo. <br>
<br>
I´m not sure if the AMG wider tyres + aero kit gives total higher or lower drag, but for sure 305km/h is not possible with custom engine, no matter what gearing you choose. <br>
<br>
<br>
With 2,82 final ratio (= E50 original), 5500 rpm (=rpm at max power) in 5th gear is somewhere around 280 - 285 km/h which means that as long as you car don´t run any faster than this, a longer gear-ratio will for sure not help your top-speed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more thing...

Did you try the top-speed on the diagnostic mode on the AC? It is probably more exact than speedo.<br> Press 'Rest' for 5 seconds, then go through the menues by pressing driver side 'auto' until you reach menue 21 (I think). See also topic in W210 forum.<br> <br> I just found out about it so I did not have a chance to check it top-speed according to AC yet, but on my E430T 180km/h speedo is 173 km/h on the AC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you try the top-speed on the diagnostic mode on the AC? It is probably more exact than speedo.<br> Press 'Rest' for 5 seconds, then go through the menues by pressing driver side 'auto' until you reach menue 21 (I think). See also topic in W210 forum.<br> <br> I just found out about it so I did not have a chance to check it top-speed according to AC yet, but on my E430T 180km/h speedo is 173 km/h on the AC.
I have also same problem with my e320 1996, overdrive switch(D4) is also not working but there is no problem in upshifting when downshifting from 90-30 km, and then when i m pressing accelerator again it gives a jerk, i hav changed gear oil + gasket + filter again after 15000 km, PAN is very cleaned,(no metal particles)
and had also changed my Mass air sensor before 15000km,
CHANGED MAF+A/T OIL+GASKET+FILTER AT 90,000 KM
CHANGED AGAIN A/T OIL+GASKET+FILTER AFTER THIS PROBLEM AT 1,10,000 KM
CURRENT KILOMETERS ARE 1,10,560 KM
I DID'NT CONFERN WITH ANY MECHANIC YET.
PLZ HELP ME REGARDING THIS PROBLEM, IS MY TRANSMISSION GOING WEAKER,(pan is clean) OR SOME OTHER PROBLEM, ITS HAS 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

1 - 4 of 4 Posts