Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was enjoying a drive through the rolling hills of Tennessee and noticed that my '99 CLK430 tops out at 135MPH. I was pretty surprised at this since my '90 300ZX goes 160+.

Is there an easy computer chip change which will solve this denial of horsepower? If so, where might I find one 'cause there's a lot more room to the right of my needle that I'd like to explore.

·
Registered
BMW 740iL
32 Posts
Yep, The mfg does that based on production tire. It's expensive $1 to $2K) but most of the aftermarket tuners can do it (Rentech, Kleeman, etc). Not a lot of point in doing it to the 430 though as you won't get much more out of it (Maybe up to 145). If you supercharge it, you will bump up your HP and be able to keep up with the CLK55 AMG's in the 170 range. BTW even though the AMG has higher performance tires on it, it is also restricted to 155MPH from the factory

[:(]

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?

145 MPH would be the max? That's really surprising to me given how that motor acts as if there is a lot more power to give. I would think that if any car on the road has a high top speed it would be a Benz. Not that I do a lot of driving above 120, but I want to use all the motor that I bought.
[:)]

Anyway, I appreciate your info.

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mean to argue, but I completely disagree about the top speed of the 300ZX. If you...

I don't mean to argue, but I completely disagree about the top speed of the 300ZX. If you read some chart that listed the speed as 155 it is wrong.

I actually own a non-turbo 1990 300ZX with no engine upgrades and it goes 160+ MPH. I have done this a half dozen times so I know what I'm talking about. In fact, once I was right behind (4-5 feet) my buddy in his 928 and he was maxed out at 160+ as well.

Don't believe everything you read.

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: [quote]http:/ don't mean to argue, but I completely disagree about the top speed of the

Unless the ECU is modified, the factory governor it at 155 mph on the Turbo version.
Yeah, ok I was lying. It really goes 155. LOL Seriously, I have no need to lie about this. My car goes 160. You are giving info and specs about the turbo version and I have the normally aspirated 300ZX. I don't know how this difference affects the top speed, but you'll never convince me that I can't get into my 300 and hit 160. I've never topped a turbo out so I won't presume to speak about its top speed ability.

I was merely using this as a benchmark for the 430 top speed anyway. I wasn't trying to use it as a conversation starter. Sorry to ramble.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 Skyview
73 Posts
You mean the CA version is faster than the Tenn. version???I had my 430 Cab up to 14...

You mean the CA version is faster than the Tenn. version???

I had my 430 Cab up to 145-147 before I overtook other cars. The motor felt like it had more to give!

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: You mean the CA version is faster than the Tenn. version???I had my 430 Cab up to 14...

You mean the CA version is faster than the Tenn. version???

I had my 430 Cab up to 145-147 before I overtook other cars. The motor felt like it had more to give!
Wow, maybe the cab has a higher v-max limiter. I can't imagine why though. My car was actually purchased from the original owner in Tampa, so it's really a FL car.

·
Registered
CLK320
9 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I hear the 320 tops out at 152....

Don't quote me on this, but I hear the 320 tops out at 152.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
From what I've been told, it's not the tires that they limited the speed for.....

The suspension was the limiting factor. Stiffer suspension in the AMG models plus "better" tires upped the speed to an "agreed speed limit" of 155 mph.

The speed limit of 155 was an arbitrary number agreed on by Porsche, Benz, and BMW. They wanted to keep things from getting out of hand in Germany. Porsche quit that "agreement" some time ago, BMW and Benz are supposed to be looking at dumping the limit as well. Keep in mind especially here in the States most people can't handle 55 mph let alone 155 mph.

·
Registered
07 C280 4Matic, 88 MR2-SC
635 Posts
The current CLK320 tops out at apx 153MPH(244KPH);
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/cl...

The current CLK320 tops out at apx 153MPH(244KPH);
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/clk/clk320.htm
That with 215HP
The current CLK500 is Electronically governed at 156MPH(250KPH);
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/clk/clk500.htm
That with 302HP

So a CLK430 with 275HP is goint to run up around 150-160 if you take the governer off. Also his Z might be indicateing(SP?) 160MPH on his speedo but unless he's been clock'ed by a calibrated speed mesuring(SP?) device then no one knows for sure.

NP

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: The current CLK320 tops out at apx 153MPH(244KPH);http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/cl

Also his Z might be indicateing(SP?) 160MPH on his speedo but unless he's been clock'ed by a calibrated speed mesuring(SP?) device then no one knows for sure.

NP
This is very true. I've never been clocked by a calibrated instrument. Only clocked by my own speedo and my buddy's Porsche speedo. Mine goes up to 160 and the needle was buried.

·
Registered
07 C280 4Matic, 88 MR2-SC
635 Posts
What size tire does your Z have on it's rear wheels?

NP

What size tire does your Z have on it's rear wheels?

NP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts