Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys just bought an 08 ML350 with 40k miles on it three days ago. Cranked it up this afternoon and my car tripped a top off coolant light. I'm a little concerned/frustrated. Just buying the car they are telling me all the fluids were topped off and checked and this could be weather related. I'm under the belief that maybe it wasnt checked or just wasn't topped off enough. However the car didn't trip the sensor when we were driving the past two days or at the dealership. The car is certified so was supposedly checked out real good. In Colorado we have had a 70 degree temp swing the past 2 days. Its gone from 75 to 5 degrees in 1-2 days. They said there was still visible fluid in the overfill portion it was just low enough to trip the sensor. The mechanic said maybe by a quart (or equivilient to that). The service advisor didn't seemed concerned either. I'm just kind of a worry wart when it comes to my car. I haven't noticed any fluid on the ground and since they topped it off this afternoon the light has gone away. Is this normal for adverse weather or should I be worried? I just bought the car.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Such a vast change in temperature is certainly the culprit. You said the temperature went from 75 to 5 in 1-2 days, so assuming that all liquids contract when cold and expand when hot, then that's your answer. Just go to your dealer and ask them to top it off. You might want to buy a bottle of MB spec coolant-antifreeze (about $20) since none of the aftermarket stuff (Prestone etc) will do, and keep it in your garage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts