Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the top lock pads yesterday. Amazingly easy.

The right one had rotted away completely, while the left one was well on its way. It took a bit of digging to get all the bits out.

The new ones slipped right in.

I noticed the front locking mechanism was *way* more snug with the new pads. Also, the clearance issues I had on my right door (window would snag on the roof trim when closing) disappeared. Road noise was slightly reduced as well. Best $10 I could spend!

The pads are readily available from many online sources -- just search on "top lock pad 560sl".

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
I replaced the top lock pads... Amazingly easy.

I noticed the front locking mechanism was *way* more snug with the new pads. ...available from many online sources...
Same here. Bought on Ebay for $8.00 plus nominal shipping.
Sometimes the simplest are the most satisfying...

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,188 Posts
Prices of MB parts are sometimes scary high but other times they are surprisingly low and I have seen several instances where parts used on E-bay were selling for more than new ones from MB.

I was recently pleasantly surprised to find that a new rear view mirror assembly for the 560SL is under $25 from the dealer. I was expecting it to be over $100.00 and hoping to find a used one for under $50.00. At the same time the little Fu#$#% bracket that hold the mirror is $35.00 WTF???

·
7,166 Posts
MB has them as well.
I think I paid $5 for the pair.
Closest dealer to me is 70 miles, so I don't frequent it as much as I'd like. I have bought several parts thru the dealer, when my job used to take me to the "Big City"...

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,505 Posts
Closest dealer to me is 70 miles, so I don't frequent it as much as I'd like. I have bought several parts thru the dealer, when my job used to take me to the "Big City"...
Bizarro.

I live in a city with about 125000 people. And we have an MB dealer.

As a matter of fact, it was Dealership of the Year 2 years running.

I have no idea who's buying all those Mercs.

Mercedes-Benz Barrie

·
7,166 Posts
Bizarro.
I live in a city with about 125000 people....
My little burg is a little more than 1/10th that size, with an unemployment rate of 16%, last figures i heard reported... (Vance (ML Land) is a little more'n 2-1/2 hours to the south-west)

I love small towns, otherwise...

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,505 Posts
My little burg is a little more than 1/10m that size..
Oh.

I thought EVERYTHING was bigger in America.

Or was that Mexico North?

·
7,166 Posts
I thought EVERYTHING was bigger in America...
Bigger Deficit. Bigger National Debt. Bigger Government. Bigger Illegal Immigration. Bigger Entitlements. Bigger...

You get the idea.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
652 Posts
I fitted new ones (mine were gone) last time we had an eclipse. Was a bit difficult to get them on and they did make it a bit difficult to lock down the soft top as noted above. When I next put the top down I found that one of the plastic rings had gotten all chewed up :wtf: . Bought another set on eBay and will replace the chewed-up one next time I put the top down. If the same thing happens I just may remove them and go "padless" as before.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
485 Posts
Bigger Deficit. Bigger National Debt. Bigger Government. Bigger Illegal Immigration. Bigger Entitlements. Bigger...

You get the idea.

If you think that things were bad in Nov 2010----the BS continues-
Bigger crooks now with both parties

1 - 13 of 13 Posts