Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<br> <br> I have an '84 380SL. It has a ticking noise when it idles that is intermitant.<br> <br> I am almost sure it is a lifter. I is not presant when the car is cold, it only makes noise when it is warmed up.<br> <br> Are the valves adjustable? Ifso how hard is it? If not how much am I looking at to fix this?<br> <br> It is also present between 3500-4500 RPMS.<br> <br> The car has 134k miles, with the double chain, it runs perfect otherwise.<br> <br> My mechanic said this is not uncommon.<br> <br> Any help is appreciated.<br> <br> Morgan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Visited the dealer today...

He said that he could barely hear what I was talking about and said that some noise is normal for this engine, I decided to get a second opinion. The service manager said I was over exagerating and that with an OHC you are going to have some noise, at least with 134k miles. He also said I should run 10-40 oil or 20-50 in the summer and and not 5-30 like I do.<br> <br> I asked the sales manager what a good price would be on this car, as I have it for sale; I told him I paid 11K and he said I got a deal. He just sold his 79 450SL for 25k, but it only hadd 69k miles.<br> <br> MP

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morgan, your problem sounds like it may be a lifter, or lifters and possibly a cam. The oil viscosity change is a cover up for real problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts