Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk about driving in the rain and problems with the air scarf for short people, I thought I would mention that this last Saturday morning I was driving in 38 degrees with the top down. With air scarf and the excellent heating system I had no problems going over 60 MPH and being comfortable (at least with the side windows up). Since I live in Denver I still have plenty of time to break my record before Spring.

Bill

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Sounds great!

Quick question - Do you have the plexiglass wind deflector in your SLK?

I just installed this in mine, but haven't had the chance to drive and test it out.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
You have me beat. My record low temp was 42 F. I did notice that when I drove at 80 MPH, the wind from the rear did overpower the heat scarf's effectiveness. A plastic wind blocker should solve that problem.

·
Registered
350 SLK
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This feat was accomplished without either the cloth or plexiglass wind blocker. I have been thinking about purchasing the plexiglass, but first need to try out the cloth one to see if it helps. I don't get much wind without it even at over 60 MPH.

Bill

·
Registered
SLK350 / TT Sold
18 Posts
It's actually been freezing in Paris, and I was driving top down by 32F at night this week-end. Just had to put the roof back up when it started snowing [:)]
I do have the plexi wind deflector though, which may have helped quite a bit.
In actuality there is one spot that is a bit colder around the gear shift (I have MT). No wind, but colder air. It was mostly resolved by reorienting the vents on top of Comand.
All in all a very pleasant experience, and I'm sure I looked like quite a freak driving top-down, with a shirt (no scarf or sweater) and a major grin on my face [:D]

-Mikael

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
mikael:
You are "hard core"!![:D]

My top isn't going down with me driving the SLK till the temp hits at least 70 here in Philadelphia area.

I think sometime in April..... hopefully!

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
My lowest was the day I picked up my car - 32F with the top down and I couldn't stop smiling either.
I got quite a few strange looks driving down the freeway.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
SIlver_Lana - 2/28/2005 7:32 AM

My lowest was the day I picked up my car - 32F with the top down and I couldn't stop smiling either.
I got quite a few strange looks driving down the freeway.
Is that dash a divider of text or does it mean a -32F as in below zero? The latter would really impress me...[:0]

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
A few days ago I went into work when it was 37F, airscarf on low, windows up but no windblocker with a long-sleeve shirt and light nylon jacket and was comfortable at 70 mph on the interstate. The sun was out so I am sure that helped. I sure got a lot of looks, like I was nuts.

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
My coldest was in my r170, -4 (minus 4) degrees Celcius, at 2am in on a November morning. Heater on full and no wind break.

Apparently thats 24.8 F

So far in my R171, it is -1c (30.2F) with no windblock and aircon on auto automatic 20c (68f)

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Coldest driving I've done is 28F with heat on full ,Airscarf and seat heater at three lights , but no precipitation and only going around 70 mph.Stereo cranked with "Radar Love" blowing out the speakers.

Wind deflector? Wind deflector? We don't need no stinkin' wind deflector!

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
I have driven with and without the plexiglass windscreen when it is cold and IMO the plexiglass windscreen helps a lot with the wind swirling around at high speeds. I think the airscarf is more effective with it. I've driven with the top down at 38 degrees with no problem. The only thing that gets a little cold is my hand near the shifter. Don't know why. Maybe because it's 38.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Here in Chicago, I've driven around the city with the top down in mid-30's weather with no problem. On the highway at speeds in excess of 70 mph, it can get a little chilly on the shoulders and back of the head even with the airscarf on full blast... but this is only after 20 or so mins of high-speed top down driving on 30 degree weather without a rear windscreen. It's somewhat tolerable. Now that I have the plexiglass windscreen, I'm looking forward to dropping the top tonight once the snow flurries stop. It should be in the upper 20's this evening so we'll see how that feels and how effective a windscreen is.

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
masmole - 2/28/2005 4:14 PM

Here in Chicago, I've driven around the city with the top down in mid-30's weather with no problem. On the highway at speeds in excess of 70 mph, it can get a little chilly on the shoulders and back of the head even with the airscarf on full blast... but this is only after 20 or so mins of high-speed top down driving on 30 degree weather without a rear windscreen. It's somewhat tolerable. Now that I have the plexiglass windscreen, I'm looking forward to dropping the top tonight once the snow flurries stop. It should be in the upper 20's this evening so we'll see how that feels and how effective a windscreen is.
I wish I could drop the top tonight, we're in the middle of a major snowstorm. This winter thing is getting ridiculous. I got my car in November and I have 650 miles on it.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Duo-Art - 2/28/2005 4:24 PM

I got mine the last Saturday of November and have less than 600 miles on it. Winter sucks.
Odd how the English language works; in some cases sucking is a good thing.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
dsballdo - 2/28/2005 6:34 PM
Odd how the English language works; in some cases sucking is a good thing.
"That ride is stupid sick!"

Translation: That is a very nice automobile

[;)]

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Motzkoman - 2/28/2005 10:37 AM
Is that dash a divider of text or does it mean a -32F as in below zero? The latter would really impress me...[:0]
Divider! Divider!!
Just thinking of -32F makes my bones ache![:D]

To correct myself, it was 32F the day I picked up my car. [:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
So how well does the retracting hardtop work in cold weather ~ 30s, 40s???? I know with my S2K it is much slower and Honda recommends not putting it down when it's cold as you may not get it to go back up. But I like driving top down when it's cold outside like you guys! [:D][8D]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts