Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 sl500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there was ever any doubt or for all of your newbies. Dennis Ficken rocks with hydraulic cylinder repair. I sent them away at the beginning of the week and after a very hard week of work they were on my doorstep on Friday.

You made my weekend Dennis.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Agree

I used him to repair my front locking cylinders and I was very pleased with his service, speed of delivery and price. Highly recommended!

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
On repairing the cylinders.
Dennis is one of the first to do so.
OK,OK, I also did. Lol.
Have no problems with his repairs, he does excellent work. :)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
2012 Q-5, 2013 E-350, sport, 1999 SL500 sport
1 Posts
I used tophydraulics and had the same service and results....set the front cylinders last Saturday, and today I had an hour or so, and presto, the roof is back in good working order!!!!

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Hmmmmm.

There is a saying.
Trick me ones shame on you.
Trick me twice shame on me?
I would stay away. Lol.

Regards,
aam.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
There is a forum on this board called 'Recommended Repair Shops', this the place where this topic should have been posted!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey all you Dennis Ficken fans, i used him also to repair all 12 of my cylinders on my 92 500SL so far so good, i would highly recommend him to anyone needing cylinder repairs.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Hey all you Dennis Ficken fans, i used him also to repair all 12 of my cylinders on my 92 500SL so far so good, i would highly recommend him to anyone needing cylinder repairs.
I am nobody's fan. Lol.
But if I was in a bind.
I would give KLAUS a CALL.... ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
Now that the both of you have replaced your two front cylinders would you please keep us/me posted when you need to repair any of the other nine cylinders?

Thanks in advance, Lynn
Lynn,

I had my front top cylinders rebuilt four years ago this Sept. I'm always reading once they start going they all go soon after. This is not my experience.
Only the front top two cylinders have needed rebuilding the others are still original. I have flushed and replaced the system fluid. That may be helping.:)

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I had my front top cylinders rebuilt four years ago this Sept. I'm always reading once they start going they all go soon after. This is not my experience.
Only the front top two cylinders have needed rebuilding the others are still original. I have flushed and replaced the system fluid. That may be helping.
That's great news on your black 1998 needing its first repair in 2008 (10 years). Thanks for chiming in. Please keep us posted when and if you need further repair. How many miles do you have on the clock?

Yes, I am coming to the conclusion that renewing the HC fluid about every 3-4 years or 25-30K miles has it's rewards. So far my black car is 12 years old and I did my first renew, as a second owner and as a result of this forum, in 2007 w/ 30K miles and again in 2011 w/ 60K and I have yet to R&R any cylinders. knock on wood....

FWIW, when we did a POLL back in approx. 2006 we found that many of the early cars were needing there cylinders worked on at about 8-10 years. Prior to rebuilding I believe most people were purchasing new cylinders.

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
That's great news on your black 1998 needing its first repair in 2008 (10 years). Thanks for chiming in. Please keep us posted when and if you need further repair. How many miles do you have on the clock?
I have 125 K on the clock and running better now than when I originally purchased it thanks to this forum.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
I have 125 K on the clock and running better now than when I originally purchased it thanks to this forum.
I'm sure most members would agree with you. I doubt I would have had the funds to pay MB for the work I have done to mine, and most Indy's seem a little afraid to tackle them.

So thanks to all the guy's who help and share their info. I was sorry to see some members like Bob Terry and Mr Clifton go but we still have some great committed members left. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts