Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so my front right air bag went out at 125K miles. In order to save some money, I purchased a remanufactured OEM one from rebuildmastertech.com ($200) rather than go with Arnott Remanufactured($450) or Bilstein New ($600). I read that the Arnott one does not preserve the C/S (Comfort/Sport) functionality. So, I opted for a remanufactured OEM one with replaced air bag:

I then noticed that there are other sellers of remanufactured OEM ones on Ebay ($150):

But, it seemed safer to go with RMT as they have a proper web site.

The next time a front air bag goes out (the left side, hopefully), i'm considering only replacing the air-bag assembly (upper part) and keeping the shock (lower part).

Has anyone here figured out where to get the special tool that is needed to reduce the pressure of the assembly in order to remove the upper locking ring?

Thanks,
/John.

·
Premium Member
2008 S63 (USS Vengeance) <space for a W140, R129>
951 Posts
Did you get it off?

·
Registered
1997 C280
152 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful, I decided to take mine completely apart one day to see how it works.I forgot how I took the top nut off from the top of the shock. See photos:

·
Registered
W221 2008 S550
47 Posts
Just changed front left on mine last month with help from a mechanic.
Once you unscrew top 3 bolts and remove the air hose and loosen the bottom side you can pull it out without taking the contol arm apart.
But putting new one in back between the upper control arm is a little harder and probably takes more time but it worked for me.
I had to stick a long metal bar through the wheel well wedged in between the frame and push down to lift a few inches for other guy to fit the new shock in place.
I seen a few people break the bolt on the control arm that is compressed into the rubber ball joint thing trying to do this and once that bolt breaks i believe you have get a whole new control arm with a new bolt already pressed in it so to avoid that i did it this way.
Also be careful of the cheap shocks on ebay they sometimes come from china which is fine if you wanna just get the car back leveled out they work but it will make the dash say "malfunction" in the messages even though it is fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts