Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an idea kicking around the Nob Noggin.

Some tools are once in a lifetime use.....some tools are really expensive.

I just don't know if shipping costs would kill this idea.

The idea is: We could start a library of tools and owners and if someone required the use of one it could be shipped at the borrower's cost.

Now the tool could be kept at the borrower's until someone else needed it or shipped back right away....again at the borrower's cost.

Tool swaps could be done, maintenace manuals etc.

The more I write the dumber this sounds.

Is there enough need or trust out there? Or would this kill the "shit....I need another tool!! :)" part of Benz ownership?

Post your available tools here...

** The Tool Loan Program**

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Great idea, Chris! Likely to help quite a few members, and certainley fits the character of the board. Of course these comments are from a member whose only MB specific tools are in the tool roll!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does sound like a good idea. Maybe the loan of the tool is backed by a deposit on paypal or something. When the tool gets returned so does the deposit.?
Lou

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,615 Posts
Does sound like a good idea. Maybe the loan of the tool is backed by a deposit on paypal or something. When the tool gets returned so does the deposit.?
Lou
My thought as well. That is the way many part stores handle the loan program. If you don't return it in operable condition you bought it.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
** The Tool Loan Program**

These have been around the country a few times, normally just the rear spring tool. If shipped seperately, it fits into the $13 USPS box. Another member made the threaded shaft tool he used with the front spring compressor disks, and said it worked well, I personaly haven't used it.

Rental fee's usually include shipping each way and a six pack of guinness..:D

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,849 Posts
I definitely like this idea, and the paypal deposit too. Unfortunately the only tools I think I would have that I could add to the library are:
- "back tap" spark plug chaser
- R12 manifold & tap
- 17mm SnapOn crows foot extension (for valve adjustment)
- timing light
- dwell meter

I think most of those are items are cheap enough to just buy because the shipping fees will come close to the cost to purchase.

I love the idea though!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, Chris, but I don't see how I could afford to have Roncallo send me his lift every time I needed it. :rolleyes:

Seriously it's a good idea but though I have lots of tools, I have nothing specific enough to offer that would be worth someone borrowing. Unless it was a Mercedes specialty tool, the shipping would make it cheaper & easier to rent locally.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think it's a great idea to. I purchased a set of fuel pressure testing apparatus for $100, used it for 10 min. and now it just sits in the garage. Anybody with KE-Jet injection systems should use this first before changing out parts. I'm all for it.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Someone has damn near a full fuel system for troubleshooting purposes of a 75 450, can't remember who it is though, but I imagine it would comes in handy for others.... :)

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Its actually a great idea but I do know its been tried on other forums without much success. I don't know why it was unsuccessful as there are plenty of tools put up for borrowing or renting but I did see some non positive feedback. I think the biggest hurdle is to get the real once in a lifetime use tools to become available. Most of us make those kinds of things from whatever.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,849 Posts
Someone has damn near a full fuel system for troubleshooting purposes of a 75 450, can't remember who it is though, but I imagine it would comes in handy for others.... :)
True. The only part I've determined is not functional from the 1975 ALC parts is the AAV. Do you recall if the fuel pump was tested to work properly?

I can't believe that it's been about a year now and there hasn't seem to have been anyone seeking these parts.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good idea; I was thinking of proposing the same thing.

Sometimes the initial rounding up the tool(s) is more trouble than the cash outlay, as was the case with the odd assortment of extra-long 3/8" extensions, crows-foot flare nut socket, and ball-end Allen wrench socket drive I recently procured.

If you haven't yet guessed, I'm offering the R107 steering box adjuster tool kit.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
that's why I never put them up for sale youknowloldamniwasjustryingtobehelpfull LOL :)

·
29,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK so here's a solution....maybe.

I will start a new thread with posting instructions.

Anyone who want's to participate can post up a description and maybe pics of the tools willing to loan out with a location or ZIP code of it's home.

If you have some personal rules i.e deposit, what not, that can be included in your description.

emails and / or PMs can be exchanged rather than clog up the library with chatter.

What do you think?

OR......we can have a thread for requesters of tools...."I need To Borrow A Tool" thread and if anyone wants to respond with the tool ....they can.

I kinda like this idea better, actually.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I don't have the time to check in here all the time anymore, or read every thread, so I think that having a link that we can monitor with notification to our email about someone looking for a tool would be a better idea if possible. otherwise, we can list what we have and be contacted via PM and that would be forwarded to what ever we have listed.. just a though...

·
29,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have the time to check in here all the time anymore, or read every thread, so I think that having a link that we can monitor with notification to our email about someone looking for a tool would be a better idea if possible. otherwise, we can list what we have and be contacted via PM and that would be forwarded to what ever we have listed.. just a though...
Good point.

Anyone else?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,849 Posts
If subscribed to a tool thread, then you will get emails between checking in, right?

I am probably just confuse.

Damn... I just put 12 volts on that fuel pump that I'd never tested, and I got nothing but a spark when I connected it. Not even a humm of electricity like it was trying to do anything. It also seems to be leaking varish. Should I drop it in the Kerosene vat for a few days?

Not having the greatest luck with that parts box. "T" for wiper washer, Relay for fuel pump, belt for AC, clamps from fuel rails, but not a whole lot of ither stuff has gone to any use, including the wiper motor that is different on the 75 than the 73.

Not the greatest day to open the garage door since the AC vacuum has also dropped from 22.5 inHg to 17. So I guess I've probably sucked in some ambien air by now. Bummer.

Back to the OT...

Is the tool thread really much different than a "tools for sale" thread with a return option?

Since so many tools are interchangable between models, might a thread like that make most sense in the FS forum?

Just thoughts.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts