Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just typing in to say that I removed "Old Blue" from winter storage and started driving it this weekend. Here in Buffalo it seems spring may be here...and well I just had to get my w123 out in the sun. I will continue to work on my super charger system and its efficiencies this summer...

They don't build them like the used to!
Jake

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,165 Posts
I can't seem to get mine out of the garage!

I ordered new CV joint boots, then saw that I needed to replace the axles, so I ordered them and send the boot kit back. A week later, the second place tells me they can't get the remanned axles.
I also found that I have bad rear wheel bearings (one side wobbles, the other side scrapes because it's so tight!).
The Benz dealer is an hour and a half drive away, so if I put brand new axles on, I will need to ruin them in order to go and get the bearings done.

(I need an alignment too, and I will not let another local yokal touch my car after how bad they've screwed my car up. The alignment I got last fall pulls to the right and my steering wheel is crooked.)

So, I'm having the old boot kit sent BACK to me again, and I'm going to reboot these POS's and run them until they start popping. That's my cheapest option at this point.

And all the while, my satellite radio subscription is costing me money since I have the seasonal plan that started back up on March 15.

But while I've been frustrated with the car being in pieces, I've replaced the rear shocks, sway bar links, diff/axle seal, rear brake lines, washer pump system, breather hose, rear parcel shelf, (more that I've forgotten right now), and cleaned a lot under the car. My differential cover looks as shiny as my valve cover! Too much time on my hands...
And you should see my chrome bundts! [:D]

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JDC -no, you are right it's not OEM...but man I love this car, the ride, design, field of vision, the interior...the w123 is a great car...

Good Luck Greg!!! That is a lot of work - but you will get it done! I know the feeling about the shiny differential - after I rebuilt everything two winters ago with my dad - I now crawl under it every now and again after rain or dirt and clean up all those newly painted parts!!!

Jake

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Jake, nice to hear your car's out of hibernation. Enjoy the ride once again! [:)]

Gregs300CD - 4/4/2006 2:05 PM
My differential cover looks as shiny as my valve cover!
This I've got to see! [:p]

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,165 Posts
Well, we don't want to drive in the salt, and it would do no good to wait all winter, then drive through all the salt water in the first good rain.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes - too much time invested in the garage to watch it gather rust from the salt in a Buffalo winter. Also the winters lately have been a lot of freezing and warming which expands seams, and works seals etc...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I commend your efforts to keep your cars safe from the elements - it's just that I’m the type of person who looks forward all evening to driving the 300 D to work the next day.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I could - but here is the Buffalo south towns...she won't last too long...it's hard to see a 10 year old car around here on the streets...

Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
JamieK - 4/7/2006 4:25 PM

Wow, what engine is in your car? Doesn't look like a 617 anymore [:D]

Jamie
It's an M102 with a supercharger.

Jake, do you have any performanc numbers or dyno results? What's your goal?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hmm, the dipstick, alternator, and intake looks like a Ford (gasp) product. M102 should have the valve cover visible from the top. But it is Monday morning [|)]

Jamie

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hmm, the dipstick, alternator, and intake looks like a Ford (gasp) product. M102 should have the valve cover visible from the top. But it is Monday morning [|)]

Jamie

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Picture was for JDC (joke) - my w123 is a mutt...it is powered by a Ford power plant with an Eaton M-90 and a front mount intercooler...it also sports rack and pinion steering and a host of other things....

I bought it engineless and rotted to the core at 15 and my dad and I made this set up work (just engine / tranny at first) for me at 16...been changing it ever since...

Jake

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,928 Posts
i took mine out today as well since i was off of work today and the weather is simply amazing... a photo after a good cleaning

1 - 20 of 22 Posts