Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: What a great car<p>traded in my 99 boxster<p>Do you have any pics??? Was it a buy or a lease? And how much?<p><br>Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: : What a great car<p>traded in my 99 boxster<p>Do you have any pics??? Was it a buy or a lease? And how much?<p><br>Thanks!<p>No pics yet<br>I bought the car about $2500 below MSRP.<p>I test drove one last week at my local dealer and carried my Boxster to the dealer on Saturday and they sold the car a 1/2 hour before I arrived. Monday I was about 100 mile from home and stopped by a local dealer and they had the car on the lot and I bought it.<p>Just took me a couple days to get the Boxster back down there and pick up the new car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats Jay !!!

-------<p>Welcome to the Club! <p>Unoffical Rules:<p>1. Must post pics ASAP<p>2. Must tell us color combo/options ASAP<p>3. Must post often with your impressions<p>4. Must drive your new Beast as often as possible!<p>($2500 under MSRP ... you win ... the best deal I've heard of yet!!!)<p>Again, Welcome and Enjoy!<p>Drew.<p>'01 E55<br>Silver/Charcoal<br>Voice Activated Phone/Radio/CD/Cassette

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: What a great car<p>traded in my 99 boxster<p>You won't regret it.<p>I traded in a 996 Porsche Carrera to go for the E55. If anyone wants a list of all that's bad about the 911, just ask, I'm happy to whinge. Nasty, nasty cars...<p>Jamie -- London, UK

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: What don't you like about the 996?

<I>Quality problems?</I><p>Problems? 60% of the total weight hanging portentously over the rear wheels, a setup that (a) Porsche have taken 30 years to get right, and (b) other manufacturers with larger R&D budgets wouldn't dream of using. Immeasurably low quality of materials. Numerous idiosyncrasies and foibles that on any other car would have had customers writing stiff letters.<p>Last year Porsche raked in $3,400m, of which $1,600m was pure profit. That's the same total revenue as Volvo, but with four times the gross margin of DaimlerChrysler. In simplistic terms, a 911 is a $40,000 car with a 100% moron tax for the badge on the front.<p>Interior and switchgear were nothing short of insulting on a $88K car, and laughable next to a BMW 7 or Mercedes-Benz S. Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec was more rewarding to drive, providing an explosive punch that the Carrera lacked. The E55 would eat the Porsche for lunch in terms of all-round ability. It's just as fast, but quieter, more refined, and seats five.<p>Basically, do not take advice from anyone who says a Porsche is their "dream car": it simply means that they're blind to its faults. For example, the way both front headlamps mist up like cheap watches on damp days. The windows won't close above 80mph, the wipers are inefficient above 90mph, and leave the glass above 110mph. Alarming understeer when going uphill in the wet - and you don't need to be Isaac Newton to figure out why. The standard stereo is truly awful the ú1,000 10-speaker upgrade in mine was no obvious improvement. There's no lumbar adjust, with the seat bottoms flat and having zero lateral support. The switchgear was shiny and of immeasurably low quality, and would look cheap in a Chrysler Neon. The centre console compartment emitted a plasticky creeeeak when you opened it. The car was fast, certainly, but a long way from breathtaking: the 993 was heaps more inspiring to listen to and drive. Recent ubersaloons such as the M5 and E55 are more accessible, better made, less expensive, and real-world faster. And you get let out of busy junctions...<p>Rant mode off :)<p>Jamie -- London, UK

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting....the 911 (996) is my wish car, but I am getting the E55 instead this time around. I know the boxster is bad, but sad to hear the 911 is too.<p>: What a great car<p>traded in my 99 boxster<p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts