Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding 85 300D

I changed the transmission fluid on my car this morning. I followed Diesel Giant's tutorial. I estimate about just under 3 quarts came out. Diesel Giant said he used almost 4 quarts. I put in 3 and 3/4 thinking I could always add more. Well, I checked the dipstick several times driving all over town going from parking lot to parking lot seeking level ground. Every where I went and checked it, the dipstick read a little more than one inch above the top (maximum) line.

Does anyone know what will happen if I don't take some out right away?

Also, how do I take some out without using the drain plug. That's going to be really messy if I just need to pull out a half a quart or so. I was thinking of unscrewing one of the transmission cooler lines and draining that way.

I must say, I don't know if it's the change of fluid and filter or what, but she shifts really gentle now. She used to kick really bad. I have never checked the level before. The PO didn't have any records of when it was last done so I thought I should just do it. Apparently 3 and 3/4 was too much.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Only three quarts - then you didn't drain the torque converter. That should have been done too. It's not difficult and you will get all the old fluid out, not just 40%. Best way to get excess fluid out would be with a suction/vacuum pump. Insert the hose down the dipstick tube and suck it out. Anything else is going to be pretty messy.

Len

·
Premium Member
1999 SL600
474 Posts
I agree -- do another drain, this time with the torque converter, too. Since you won't have to drop the pan to change the filter, it should be pretty easy. Then fill it up again.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
Just curious.
Has anyone drained the tranny pan after pulling the plug and then also sucked fluid out of the dipstick tube with a suction pump. Will any fluid come out after the pan drain. ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I reached under the car with a catch tray and opened the plug. I let the fluid drain down my arm for a minute or so before tightening it back up.

From what I estimate in the catch tray it seems a quart was taken out. I warmed the car up and checked the dipstick. It no longer reads so high over the marks. I don't think I was on level ground but it looked like it was a little under the minimum but some fluid was running down the side of the dipstick too. This thing is so hard to read. It's not like the oil dipstick. I'll have to do this again sometime but with this being my only car and needing to travel to and from work every day it's a little hard.

Next weekend I will attempt to change the fluid all over again. What a relief that I don't have to take the pan off and change the filter again. How do you drain the fluid from the torque converter? Any pictures? Anyone know the procedure in detail? I have no idea what this is or where it's located.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
Just warming up the car while it's standing still does not give you an accurate reading.You must go out and drive it for a while to get the tranny fluid moving through the gears. After this you check the tranny fluid level while the car is running and on level ground.

·
Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
looking at the front of the trans where the torque converter is, you will see a opening at the bottom with a series of aluminum lines over it. The drain plug faces forward, down low on the face of the converter, not down as you might think. rotate the engine so it can be located. Trans fluid expands as it reaches temperature, so doing a service make sure the fluid level is almost to the add mark then drive it for at least 15 min. before checking and topping off. If overfilled and driven freeway speeds it will vent from the trans vent and burn off on the exhaust more readily on deceleration. you will see the white smoke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts