Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know the reason for too much free play in my steering wheel? this is a 73 450 SLC. Also if you have nay idea of approximate cost to fix it.<p>thanks,<br>Shon

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: anyone know the reason for too much free play in my steering wheel? this is a 73 450 SLC. Also if you have nay idea of approximate cost to fix it.<p>thanks,<br>Shon<p>Its probably the steering gear box (see my previous post). It can be adjusted within reason for a couple of hundred. The box must come out to be adjusted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I asked a MB mechanic and he said it's not the gear box, it's the steering wheel U-joint which the bushings on it are worn out, hence when you turn the wheel, there's free play. He said he's fixed a few of them and the cost is about $350. another person said, it that's the case it shouldn't be that hard..... well I'm ordering a MB shop manul and see if I can do it myself for about $50

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shon E Mail me did you adjust your steering? I also have a 86 sl (That I Love) having the same problem and I got the manual but as of yet I haven't tryed the procedure

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1978 450SL that had play in the Stearing. The bushings in the linkage was worn. A replacement of the linkage(about$50.00 for the part) that had new bushings solved the problem. Labor was about two hours as it is hard to reach. There is no stearing box on the 78

·
Registered
1 Posts
To repair the steering box or replace it is about the same $. I had mine rebuilt on my 1979 450sl and it corrected the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts