Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard and read that over filling the crankcase with "TOO MUCH OIL" would cause severe engine damage, but wondered what that meant. I had done a google search but came up with most people talking about blowing out gaskets and seals and making a mess. Then reading "DieselKraut22's" post...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1210309&posts=4&fid=10
He mention his ex gf doing just that with disasterous results. Any way I was wondering if any one who may have had a similar experience would care to share it here. Thanks [8D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
On Mercedes Shop the tech guys speak of the run-away diesel (oil getting into turbo, thereby fuelling it or something--I'm no techie [:D]). Oil pressure might also rise higher than normal so you'll have more stress on the seals I think...

Which reminds me, I am nearly due for an oil change. I drop in a gallon and add a quart. Drive it, check dipstick, and fill as necessary.

What happens when you eat too much? Or drink too much? You need to let something out...I guess the same goes with our diesels.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
sheesh changing the oil on a 617 could not be easier.
drain the oil change the filter and dump in 2 gallons of fresh diesel rated oil. i have done this over 40 times on my car (latest being yesterday), with no overfills...

the point is, though, to do it, and on a very tight schedule.. the engine will love it.

you can easily make sure the breather hose is unrestricted and avoid the engine fueling by crankcase oil.

as for the GF that overfilled the crankcase.. suppose that's why she is the 'EX GF' now , lol
'change 'em hot and often!'
[:p]

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
My engine was low......,but by like half a quart...the oil pan was bashed in worse then i thought ..point is # dont let a woman add anything to your car that makes its run ...i.e oil,water,fuel...and so on. #2 dont be a dumbass like me and drive a car with something broken on it with out knowing how important it is.

this was "4" quart over filled nto one or half...so just
take car of it and be gentil...i change my oil 1500 if i have mostly been driving hard like real fast and for long trips...if its been a slow oil cycle then i do it every 3000 miles...its up to how you drive ..how much you want to spend and how much you like the car...but do it your self so you know its been done right.

as for over filling again...it did blow the seals ,but on a gaser the rod would have bent or something,but these diesels are too piston and rod to close meaning they are to close to each other....there went my piston. sucked ,but that live and learn.

G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts