Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350 SLC Euro
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this too much for the MB owners' eyes to behold.? I've been informed that this is not the way a "true" Benz should look. What's up with that?[?]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Benzes are classy in my opinion. There really not the car to put body kits, drop it, huge rims. It goes to a certain extent before it gets tacky. Thats what BMW is for.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Iwas under the impression that you sold this last year on Ebay? Did you ever gut that hideous interior?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The SEC grill does not work with the sedans but it is an otherwise tastefully modded 126 that looks very good.

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
Please do not malign the other German Car brand. As an owner of both marques. The BMW is my dream car, a weekend ride, and the 560 SEC my daily driver. The 850 CSi is simply an amazing vehicle and gets a little better every single day.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
Please do not malign the other German Car brand. As an owner of both marques. The BMW is my dream car, a weekend ride, and the 560 SEC my daily driver. The 850 CSi is simply an amazing vehicle and gets a little better every single day.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
560300 - 5/11/2005 7:48 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. The pricing for a previously owned 8 -Series BMW in pristine condition has gone through the roof. However most 8-series owners, in my opinion have not properly maintained them. A good example is hard to find. Most have been thoroughly abused. If you find a great example, let me know. I'd really like one.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
560300 - 5/10/2005 8:50 PM

Please do not malign the other German Car brand.
Wouldn’t dream of it – Bimmers are great cars – I’m sure it’s cool to drive but it looks like a 240 SX; modern MBs have the same problem as they look like Hondas…[V]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Ah! That 560 looks great. Just get rid of the SEC grill. [:D]

·
Registered
70 Posts
That W126 looks almost perfect:
Dump the grill for a stock one, painted black or body color.
Dump the DOT lights for euros and either get rid of the wipers or get a set of euro wipers. It looks like a euro bumper on the front already.

How did you get that stance? I would love to get my SDL sitting like that. H&R lowering kit?

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
jdc1244a - 5/12/2005 10:42 AM

The SEC grill does not work with the sedans but it is an otherwise tastefully modded 126 that looks very good.
I agree. It's a beautiful saloon but that faux SEC grille is hideous. [8)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
the 850's can/are nightmares unless mainainted above and beyond the factory specs. The lifetime fill on the trasmissions guarantess premature failure. I come across quite a few suffering from various electrical gremlins that are brutally expensive to repair.

Other then that I love em..well, they were a little slow from the factory...[:p]

Jonathan

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
560300 - 5/10/2005 8:48 PM

a friend of me was thinking about buying a 850 but since i´ve been told that they suffer electronic problems i´ve told him to buy something else.

hows the ride comfort, performance etc. compared to the SEC?

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
MRTIKKET I do know of three 850CSi's currently on the market. They are being offered between $55-74K. You can obtain a very good Ci for around 20K. I do know of some good ones for sale. Contact me offline if you are interested.

Jhodg5ck as with any performance car, a poorly maintained vehicle can be astronomical to repair. All the 8 owners I know maintain there vehicles well and do not have the problems you speak of.

As far as being under powered the cars were offerd in an 840 (V8) an 850i and Ci (V12 M70) and the 850CSi (V12 S70).

A standard V12 Ci is rated at 300hp and is comparable to my 300hp Euro engine 560SEC.

The CSi however is built in BMW's M plant. The S70 Engine sports an additional 80 hp over the standard M70 engine.

There were only 225 NA Spec 850CSi's imported to the US during 94-95.

There are more than a few 850Ci that have had the CSi trim package added to the vehicle but it is purely cosemetic.

Jdc1244a I do not believe you have seen these cars uplclose. They both have hidden headlights, the similarity to the 240SX ends there.

·
Registered
1972 350 SLC Euro
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct my friend. It took an H&R kit to lower her 2.25 inches. Be ready to sacrifice ride unless you get the "normal" springs. I opted for the "sport" springs. True, you give up some ride, but here in the mountains, the curves are begging for something that can hang in there with them. In my opinion however, the sport springs are great. The car doesn't nose dive under extreme braking nor does it look as if it has to "plane out" during take-off.

·
Registered
1972 350 SLC Euro
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reserve was not met on Ebay. I kinda put it a little high because I think - subconciously - I really didn't want to sell her. So currently she's having the unthinkable done....you know...the chevy thing...with the 700R transmission. Interior-wise, I still haven't made up my mind yet. There are a few donor cars withing 50+ miles but the owners they are as greedy as me. Just asking way too much. After I purchased the "thugmobile", I decided to put her in the care of couple of young mech's with about 22 years experience in custom restoration. I've asked them to take their time (money pit don't cha know) and will keep you updated in the "galleries" section.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I LOVE the 8 series bimmers, almost bought a 840CI instead of my SEC (similar price and mileage, same dealer), but i had heard of all the problems with the electronics, and how much harder it is to maintain, so went with the SEC. I also like the SEC because it looks a lot TOUGHER!
Also, my SEC was a LOT faster on the test drive. On the other hand, the bimmer's handling was much better. Oh well, more dragstrips around here than mountain roads!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts