Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i was driving home from pick 'n' pull listening to my cd when it felt like it wasn't going into 4th when it was supose to so i drove slower and tried the kick down ,but everything works just it wont go into 4th. Before when i didnt have my tranny working right coz of vacuum it would be a delay then go ,and after that was fixed it was perfect .....the only thing i did before it started doing this was add 30% cooked and cleaned veggie oil to the diesel and it ran great for a day.

Are my filters bad now? Already just coz of veggie oil or is it something else? All my vacuum is working and it shifts great before 4th ,but all the fluid is good too? I used veggie oil straight in a 300sd 81' with NO diesel and it ran fine just slower.

Any ideas guys coz the car wont go over 75 unless it gets real load and i dont wanna F**k anything up.

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
well if your filters were clogged, you wouldn't be getting 'tons of power', but that what my guess would have been

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See i was thinking the same thing ,but i just dont know where to start coz of the way it is acting and how it feels.

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
Have you ever adjusted the shifting linkage?

Even with no vacuum the tranny will shift into high?
What does your tach read at 40 mph? Maybe it just seems to not shift. Does it shift into the other gears at the right time?

Sorry I have more questions then answers (really since I have no answers right now.)
[:D]

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
every gear shifts on the mark ,but not 4th and it doesnt over rev just doesnt shift or go any faster.

The linkage and kick down are ok as far as i know.

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
Sorry more questions.

When you say on the mark what are you describing? Is it the marks on the speedo? How do you know that the linkage/kick down is OK? Have you unplugged the kick down?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Are you sure you’re counting shifts correctly – these cars are geared to rev high in 4th.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm ok if it revs high how high at like 110mph and what if it starts to rev high ,but not go past 80 as fash as it use to? my car will take off faster ,but either its much louder or its not going into 4th or im just over reacting and have dirty filters... its shifts perfect on every mark on the speedo and ive ajusted the kick down back and forth. When it is screwd in it goes past the mark with out a shift. If i screw it out if with shift to soon.

Right now i have the shift marks perfect ,but after about 72mph is takes FOREVER to get higher and its about 3500 rpm just after 65.
It gets to about 4200rpm and then i let off coz on the 3 marker on the speedo(4th) i dont feel or hear it shift like it use to.

,but i know it got past 3rd coz it doesnt super rev you know what i mean.

hope this helps im just wondering coz ive done alot to her lately and dont want to kill a good thing being dumb.......alda&egr have been took to town(removed and ajusted) ,but not the waste gate...but after the ajust ments it ran super great till i added the veggie oil ...just a day after i did it this starts and its all i can think of in that time frame...any thoughts?

Thank you all alot in advance.

G

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Well, if the filters were clogged that it would be hard to start and shake badly and soon not start – on the road it will eventually stall and not start. Does not sound like filters.

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
DieselKraut22 - 5/10/2005 9:52 PM

hmm ok if it revs high how high at like 110mph and what if it starts to rev high ,but not go past 80 as fash as it use to? my car will take off faster ,but either its much louder or its not going into 4th or im just over reacting and have dirty filters... its shifts perfect on every mark on the speedo and ive ajusted the kick down back and forth. When it is screwd in it goes past the mark with out a shift. If i screw it out if with shift to soon.

Right now i have the shift marks perfect ,but after about 72mph is takes FOREVER to get higher and its about 3500 rpm just after 65.
It gets to about 4200rpm and then i let off coz on the 3 marker on the speedo(4th) i dont feel or hear it shift like it use to.

,but i know it got past 3rd coz it doesnt super rev you know what i mean.

hope this helps im just wondering coz ive done alot to her lately and dont want to kill a good thing being dumb.......alda&egr have been took to town(removed and ajusted) ,but not the waste gate...but after the ajust ments it ran super great till i added the veggie oil ...just a day after i did it this starts and its all i can think of in that time frame...any thoughts?

Thank you all alot in advance.

G
I will have to check my car but 3500 rpm and 65 mph sounds like it is in high gear. 100 mph will be about 5300 rpm. Sounds like you are losing power which could be an obstruction in the fuel line. Fuel filters is the most common item ot plug up. Check both under the hood and the screen in the tank.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok last night on my way home i monitored everything i could with my eyes and ears and the car sounds looks and feels like it is geting to 80mph then totally dogging out.....,but getting it to 80 doesnt seem to be a problem....and lastnight it did go into 4th just not when it was supose to i got it to go in a lil before and a lil after.

if the filters are starting to go how would i get power til that point and it its the fuel mix i still have in then how would that coz it?

I wonder....my friend has a resturant and gave me the oil.....i filterd it ,but how would i know if he had got water in it...he keeps it out side uncoverd?

I know water will float on top ,but would if water was in there just a lil...what would that do?

this is so weird .....cant stand not knowing... so starting this sat im going to drain my tank and change my filters.. i have to wait til the weekend coz i get off work when the dealership closes the parts counter for my filters.

ill keep hunting...but if anyone has any other idea id thank ya.

G

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
Well i don't know about the water floating on the oil,but if your chum has been cooking chillies in it,be careful your engine doesn't start running hot.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL thats funny he is from Pakistan.

They like the hot food.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't Churry the nation dish in England?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't Churry the national dish in England?

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
Yeah, we eat a lot of curries here.Chicken Tikka Masala is actually the nation's favourite dish officially,but it's English not Asian.Invented by an innovative chef whose English customer complained that his meal was too dry and demanded a sweet/spicy red 'gravy'to be poured over it.They wouldn't eat such muck in India or Pakistan.[:D]

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
"I know water will float on top ,but would if water was in there just a lil...what would that do?"

Actually,being considerably less dense,oil will float on water,ie any water that finds it's way either into your friend's used oil store or your fuel tank, will sink to the lowest point.So if you scooped the used oil from the top of the drum you would not have collected any water,but if some has found it's way into your tank it will quickly get fed to your engine.A little will just get blown through with the fuel,but too much will stop your engine dead-so i don't think you need worry that water is causing your problems.

My apologies for putting sarcasm before useful information-i must get out of that habit.

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
if the filters are starting to go how would i get power til that point and it its the fuel mix i still have in then how would that coz it?

Checked my 83 today and I was turning about 2700 at 60 mph so you were in third gear. Your filters, if they are plugging up, will restrict the flow of fuel which will be fine if you are going at a lower speed and don't require as much fuel but will choke the engine when you try to go a higher speed. The tranny should shift into high gear when if think it should based on pedal position and transmission pressure not just at the shift points on the speedometer.

To remove water, heat the oil to about 180 F for about 30 min.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok i changed the filters and it made a huge difference.

The old ones where pretty nasty...the worth part is I STRAINED THE OIL HELLA! ,but it still got dirty and clogged. Now that it is ALMOST back to normal i start to wonder about cleaning the filter in the fuel tank...any tips to do a good job the write way?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts