Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'82 240 D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So "Rose" was shaking like two skeletons fvcking in a garbage can. It was embarrassing. Kids pointed at stop lights. People shook their fist. I had to rev it up at lights to settle it down.

Motor mounts were ordered.

Insanity ensued.

Passenger side: not too bad. Softer than new

Here was the problems child. The Drivers side was DESTROYED! Fuel has dripped from a loose hose above.

It was interesting too, as the rubber felt like foam! :eek:

Now it drives like a new Mercedes again!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Yep, classic driver’s side mount failure: leaking fuel. Was the hand pump leaking? Whatever was leaking I assume you fixed it otherwise you’ll be replacing the mount again soon.

·
Registered
1982 300D-T
40 Posts
Schlachter,

What tools and procedures did you use to change your mounts? I need to change my mounts also. How long did it take? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
for me it was a 2 person job. Jack it up with a floor jack with something flat on the top the floor jack (I used a nice piece of wood) and jack up the engine by the pan....sounds odd but thats where they reccomend. I think if you use the search function lots of people have posted the procedure.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
You can use a bottle jack and block of wood. You’ll need a 6mm Allen key for the mounts to frame and an 8mm Allen/hex socket for the mounts to engine.

This is one occasion where you should go to the dealer to get OE mounts, if you can’t find them elsewhere – but make sure they’re MB mounts; all the aftermarket stuff fails early.

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
SCHLACHTER said:
So "Rose" was shaking like two skeletons fvcking in a garbage can.

That is the best thing I heard all day

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
jdc1244 said:
This is one occasion where you should go to the dealer to get OE mounts, if you can’t find them elsewhere – but make sure they’re MB mounts; all the aftermarket stuff fails early.
Is Lemforder not any good?

·
Registered
'82 240 D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdc1244 said:
Yep, classic driver’s side mount failure: leaking fuel. Was the hand pump leaking? Whatever was leaking I assume you fixed it otherwise you’ll be replacing the mount again soon.

U are correct, sir.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the hand pump?

I drove it home, and am getting new fuel line.

·
Registered
'82 240 D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ace00959 said:
Schlachter,

What tools and procedures did you use to change your mounts? I need to change my mounts also. How long did it take? Thanks for the help.

A 6 and 8 mm allen w/ a floorjack.

My brothers a mechanic, and it still took us 3 hrs.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
Is Lemforder not any good?
My understanding is it is not – I believe Jonathan over at the 126 forum, a parts reseller, recommends to avoid them. There was a thread recently in the 126 forum where someone replaced his mounts – non-OE - and he had to replace them after just 800 miles; I don’t recall the make, however, but since 123s and 126s use the same mount the consensus at the time and now is to go with MB only to be safe.

SCHLACHTER said:
My brothers a mechanic, and it still took us 3 hrs.
That’s very good time for a 123 change out. If like most (me included) you had a problem accessing the driver’s side mount. It took my son and I a whole weekend.

All the more reason to use OE: you don’t want to have to go back in there again after just 800 miles.

·
Registered
'82 240 D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jdc1244 said:
That’s very good time for a 123 change out. If like most (me included) you had a problem accessing the driver’s side mount. It took my son and I a whole weekend.

All the more reason to use OE: you don’t want to have to go back in there again after just 800 miles.

Thanks!

We used a German brand that started with a M, and they had the MB blue dot on them too.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
Where did you get them and how much do they cost?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts