Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a thermostatic fan controller last night. Removed the fan + van clutch (viscous, robs power) and wired the fan controller to the two electric fans in front of the radiator + condenser. Now, when the car reaches temperature, the electric fans turn on. Before, the electric fans were only used when the car was overheating (usually while stopped in traffic and the viscous fan couldn't move fast enough to draw enough air) and when the AC was on. Haven't tested it yet, but I'm going to right now. Wish I could've taken pics and made a write-up, but my camera was in my friend's car when it was stolen, so I'll have to do that in the future.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They come on at around 87 celcius. Lets the car heat up, and they don't run when I'm driving on the freeway because they aren't needed. I didn't install any new fans, just a controller to run the two electric fans (stock on the 300se) as a primary fan. This way I could delete the engine driven fan and fan clutch, which robs a good amount of power.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
That's a great setup, dan - may try that with my 300, a little more power to the rear wheels is always good.

Where I live the problem is humidity, the air is so saturated with water there’s nowhere for the heat to go. The engine heats up very quickly and when the t stat opens the always on fan helps keep it from overheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts