Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months, I've had a coolant leak where I've had to add some every other drive. It was coming from where the top hose is connected to the radiator. I tried replacing the o-ring, but that did not help. It was hard to see, but I figured it was a tiny crack in the plastic in that area. I bought a Nissens radiator for $120 and swapped it in today and all is well. It was a fairly easy job, except for blind access to bolts holding brackets for unrelated hoses to the sides of the radiator.

My other job was going to be replacing all four control arm frame bushings. I got ONE done - the left side front one that is fluid-filled and leaked oil all over the garage floor. I've done these before on other cars without a hydraulic press or the "special tools". I generally cut or beat the old bushing out, then with the new bushing overnight in the freezer, it slips right in. Well, not this one! I had to beat the new one in place - it took several hours. I think I'm going to buy a press for the others.

Ohm and I noticed it's also time for new front brakes. Good grief!

·
25,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a tool like this for the ball joints. The boot will slide up on the shaft to give plenty of clearance for the fork not to damage it.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Tool Auto part Font

·
25,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem, a teeney tiny crack just above the connector. I spent days with the connector and the o-ring. Finally saw the crack when doing a pressure test. Bought a new Nissens radiator and it leaked where the black plastic meets the aluminum body. Just sprung for a Behr after that and no problems.
I have only driven a few miles on the Nissens radiator and no leaks, but I'll keep an eye on it. The Behr was not much more expensive, I just chose the Nssens because I could get it quickly.

·
25,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just put a socket on that ball join tool and start wrenching. Of course it's always a bit scary because when it finally releases, it's with a big bang and the tool and wrench drop to the floor. One time in my life I shattered one of these tools, so it's always a "nail biter" for me.

·
25,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@NHSL550 The SL65 is a different system. The SL550 uses traditional ball joints with convoluted rubber boots that can easily be slid up the shaft 1/4 of an inch to clear the tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts