Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SL550
86 Posts
I just ordered all the parts to do mine. All lower control arms and Upper control arms bushings. Upper and lower ball joints. Along with inner and outer tie rod ends. I also was looking into replacing the strut ball joints but have not found a replacement part. damaging the boot is a concern. This tool might be the answer. even if I have to grind it down a little. Or maybe the old school of threading on the nut and pounding it out.
New Universal Auto 19mm Ball Joint Separator Remover Removal Tool | eBay

·
Registered
2009 SL550
86 Posts
I just ordered all the parts to do mine. All lower control arms and Upper control arms bushings. Upper and lower ball joints. Along with inner and outer tie rod ends. I also was looking into replacing the strut ball joints but have not found a replacement part. damaging the boot is a concern. This tool might be the answer. even if I have to grind it down a little. Or maybe the old school of threading on the nut and pounding it out.
New Universal Auto 19mm Ball Joint Separator Remover Removal Tool | eBay

I have that and will try it first. One of my castor arms was stuck really tight - the other one just popped off, so I'm of course worried one or both of my struts is going to be on really tight. Are the ball joint boots available and replaceable? It would be good to have some on hand in advance if anyone knows if replacements exist.
I have found the strut ball joints for non amg and amg up to 2006 no good for me with a 2007 Sl65. Boots should be easy. Just have to measure and research. None listed as mercedes replacements.still looking.

·
Registered
2009 SL550
86 Posts
I have a tool like this for the ball joints. The boot will slide up on the shaft to give plenty of clearance for the fork not to damage it.

View attachment 2767214
There is no way to get that tool in there at least on my 07 sl65 without some major grinding.
I noticed the pic you posted of the tool is much thinner fork than the one i have. might have to look for a thinner one or grind the one I have.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fluid Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Tire Fluid Motor vehicle Liquid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts