Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1221 - 1235 of 1235 Posts

·
Registered
W126 420SEL, B6 Audi A4 1.8T
173 Posts
Crap, I thought my 420 was the lowest in the country at 26k. Bet mine is still in better overall condition thought. :)

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,569 Posts
It seems the bottom has dropped out of the Mercedes youngtimer market , just as quick as values went up a few years ago for no real reason , they are falling back to reality

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,419 Posts
Maybe timing too, the period at the end of the year running up to Christmas/holidays is usually not a great time to sell.

Our Rolls Royce mechanic Mike reckons the bottom will fall out of the whole classic car market at some point, because of the electric car development and everything. I hope not.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,353 Posts
I think it's all about supply, demand, and how the car is presented. People may be looking at BAT for pristine garage queen examples with pictures of all the original documents that came with the car, the window sticker, etc. If there are AMG mods, they're wanting to see receipts. Higher mileage examples are harder for people to pull the trigger on, even if they're well sorted. Color, interior condition, mods, that all comes into play

These are great cars, don't get me wrong :) I love the W126! But even with the coupe, they aren't "rare". Finding a low mileage one in the most desirable color combo with a pedigree might be rare, but those auctions have been rewarded with a high final bid price

It's all about finding a group of people that desperately want to buy your car and one of them wants it more than the others :) If nobody wants it (whatever the reasons are; maybe the magic buyer just wasn't looking this time of year), then auctions will show results accordingly, IMO

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,087 Posts
Our Rolls Royce mechanic Mike reckons the bottom will fall out of the whole classic car market at some point, because of the electric car development and everything. I hope not.
I hope not too, but I reckon it's the truth. Youngsters today care not for older cars and so many of them are obsessed with electric cars that the page has turned. Meanwhile, how many mechanics will know how to fix these older cars? In my town there is ONE GUY who can look at my SEC. One single guy. And he's old! Uh oh. :(

Cars are now disposable items.

By the way, there have been multiple 123 and 126 rides not meeting their reserve on BAT.

·
Registered
89 560SEC
61 Posts
I'm disappointed I couldn't get it ready to sell 6 months ago, but life happens.
The car is truly in amazing condition, I wouldn't guess it had more than 50k miles on it.
I've got it up on ebay and CL now if anyone is interested. https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-1989-mercedes-benz-560sec-amg/7028473104.html

anyways, back to your regularly scheduled BaT listings
Not a W126 but still pretty cool:

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,894 Posts
@elislider - I will share your Craigslist ad with a bunch of my car buddies and spread the word. Your car is seriously nice and the price is very fair..by the way my car has 157k on it and is close to being the the twin to yours...pic below:

·
Registered
1986 420 SEL
1 Posts
I hope not too, but I reckon it's the truth. Youngsters today care not for older cars and so many of them are obsessed with electric cars that the page has turned. Meanwhile, how many mechanics will know how to fix these older cars? In my town there is ONE GUY who can look at my SEC. One single guy. And he's old! Uh oh. :(

Cars are now disposable items.

By the way, there have been multiple 123 and 126 rides not meeting their reserve on BAT.
The only people obsessed with electric cars are the media who don't question where all this magical electricity is going to come from that would be needed for the world to convert to electric. I guess when SoCal has to keep cutting the power to keep from burning everything maybe people will wake up and realize we are no more ready for all electric than we were 100 years ago. We need a safe high density form of storage and a way to generate clean one step electricity before it even begins to make any sense to go electric. IC engines cannot be beat right now for portability and adaptability.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,087 Posts
That is.... interesting.

Of course the euro lamps and bumpers are worth a nice sum so the car has to get up there a bit, no matter what.

1221 - 1235 of 1235 Posts