·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
You must have missed my sec thread

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can't even remember the time when these fake plastic appendages were deemed attractive?
do you mean bodykits/spoilers? If so, the answer to when they were most popular? Started around 1985'ish. Foha, Kamei, Kaminari, Zender..the list is (was) long with companies that made "spoilerkits" for many cars, especially german. And when AMG started the painted bodykits/body colored bumpers...things took off from there. ONce we moved into the late 80's and early 90's, manufacturers began incorporating the "kits" into their factory lineup. I recall the 1986 16valve VW Scirocco being among the first to have the bodykit included. The 1988 BMW M3 E30 was another. 16valve AMG 190e 2.316v....then of course by early 90s, almost every car had them. Some more integrated than others.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
When I get mine complete I will post before and after pics and we can then have a discussion again. I do agree that the American front bumper looks a little chunky but the car sure is attractive to me. Nice unusual color and in pristine shape. People should know there are also subtle differences in the front dog ear spoilers that some people might like one type vs the others. I was lucky enough to get a Hendrick reproduction with the long ears, which I mated to a Euro bumper. So we will see. Same with side skirts. For me I like the wb type which with my lowered stance gives the car a more aggressive look. I recently found out there are even two types of AMG wb type side skirts. One that is flush with the sill, and another that has a little shelf. Soon, all these amg bits will be gone and no one will be able to make an AMG tribute car so all the choices will be limited. Trust me that finding these parts is not easy. Its also too bad the parts are not just clip on like the factory parts so one can take them off or on at a moments notice. Well I guess if you have spare bumpers you can. Bottom line is one has options to fit individual tastes. This makes the cars more desireable to many not just a few.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166

·
Registered
534 Posts
all it needs is the black trim returned to chrome or painted white to match the rest. And a change of wheels to monoblocks maybe

·
SuperModerator
13,215 Posts
We've seen it before haven't we. Very cool car, personally I hate what the black arches do to the lines, makes the arches look bigger. But it's very period, very much like one of those cars from the 1000SEL site.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,172
yeah would love some details of was involved in that 45-55 hp increase

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,174

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,175

·
Registered
880 Posts
For sure a nice car, but as many on this forum have stated, just having low mileage will not mean there are no issues to be dealt with. The car is 28 years old no matter what the mileage is, age has to be dealt with always, no one or nothing beats Father Time.

Always is nice to start with what looks like a good example and go from there vs starting with a POS.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,177

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,178
34k-Mile 1983 Mercedes-Benz 500SEL

1161 - 1180 of 1187 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
68 Participants
vdubpower
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing