Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you that have put 18" wheels on your CLK55's, did the ride get noticeable harsher?

How about the steering response, any improvement? What brand/type of tires are you using?<br>
<br>
Also, whats the best way to got about lowering a CLK55, I know about spring pads but has anyone changed the springs and shocks? What was the result? <br>
<br>
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: To those of you that have put 18

I actually didn't feel a big difference with 18' but the handling (cornering) is significant better (IMHO). Tires: Dunlop SP 9000 f:225/40/18, r:255/35/18. Perhaps not the 'top' performer but very quiet and durable.<br> I lowered my car by installing a set of H&R springs and didn't touch the pads because the drop was just right for me.<br> <br> I've postet some pics at: http://gallery.mbnz.org/gallery/showsub.asp?CatID=31&cat=W208_CLK_Class

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: To those of you that have put 18

I cut down the front and rear spring bushings and took half a coil out of the rear spring to lower the car approx. 1'. Ride quality is unchanged (rear spring rate only changed 5% since there's 10 coils). I kept the 17's since 18's will give a harsher ride, all else being equal, due to shorter tire sidewall.<br> --- Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts