Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
So for my 2004 SL600 V12 TT, I found a local shop that is supposedly "stellar" in terms of quality, workmanship and price.
They propose to do the following service.
Replace all intercooler coolant hoses, $1469 (some no longer available, had to get from Germany)
Service cooling system $380
Replace MAP sensor $123 (was somehow broken and hanging by wire)
Flush, refill brake system also to include EPC/ABS system, $517
Belt, tensioner, idler pulley $771
Transmission service and replace megatronic sleeve, $721
Service rear differential $147
And labor to determine the above needs, $572
"All other systems Perfect and not in need of any servicing at this time."
So the total of all this work is around $5000
I am afraid to ask. But what do you guys think?
Car is in impeccable condition and looks, runs, drives, ...EVERYTHING, as new. However it has 87K miles so I think this is something like a 90K Mile Service? After all this I think it may be trouble free for a year or two? I hope!!
Thanks for any thoughts and input.
*Backstory* I bought the car at $16K, we all know it was well over $100K when new, so after this I would be in it a little over $20K. Still... NOTHING else can come close to this car for that amount of money!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I guess each vehicle has different issues but I basically did the same as you and had a independent shop go over my newly purchased SL65 and some prices are more and some were less.

Parts & labor included:
Cooling system flush and refill - $198
Brake system flush, refill, reprogram sensors - $352
Belt, tensioner, 2x idle pulleys - $611
Rear diff service - $223
Oil change w/MB full synthetic - $429
Front brake pads replaced including sensors - $481
Rear brake pads including sensors - $353

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think this shop may be a little on the high side but it's very clean, the bays that the cars are worked on are very spacious, they promise that no one and no car will come anywhere near mine, the shop has been in business over 40 years, their Google reviews are all really good... and they tell me that a MBZ dealership will warranty everything they do typically for one year, whereas this shop warranties all parts and all labor for three years. When I get the car back, All servicing will be up to date and the car had better be perfect. That said, I do my own oil changes (go figure.) The intercooler coolant hoses, about 6 feet of hoses total, were somewhat hard to find, and MBZ says "Left side hoses available, right side hoses no longer made" and not available. So it will be great to have all new hoses. Still, I wonder exactly how much more or less a MBZ dealership would have charged for this services.

·
Registered
568 Posts
At least I do my own oil changes. Who can't buy 2 gallons of Liqui-Moly synthetic oil on Amazon (about $40/Gallon) and a Mann oil filter (About $10) And I use a MightyVac to suck out the old oil (Opinions differ about whether this is good or not, been doing it this way for 20 years and my cars show no more engine wear than anyone else's) So my oil changes are under $100

·
Registered
568 Posts
UPDATE. Finally got the SL600 Twin Turbo back home. The intercooler water hoses proved to be very rare and hard to get. Considering how the original ones were 14 years old, I am hoping these new ones will last just as long. The total bill for all that work was less than anticipated. It was 4675 american dollars. A lot, yes, but nearly everything on the car is all serviced up now and won't need any attention for 2-3 years. There's nothing else like this car, so I won't complain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
UPDATE. Finally got the SL600 Twin Turbo back home. The intercooler water hoses proved to be very rare and hard to get. Considering how the original ones were 14 years old, I am hoping these new ones will last just as long. The total bill for all that work was less than anticipated. It was 4675 american dollars. A lot, yes, but nearly everything on the car is all serviced up now and won't need any attention for 2-3 years. There's nothing else like this car, so I won't complain.
I would recommend you to check for yourself if any of the hinges on small flaps that cover opening in the large flaps that close opening in front of the trunk lid when roof is open. It is common problem for all R230. It is easy to fix, and it ensures that you won't loose them. Then it is way more involved. There are plenty of topics, which cover this issue.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I guess each vehicle has different issues but I basically did the same as you and had a independent shop go over my newly purchased SL65 and some prices are more and some were less.

Parts & labor included:
Cooling system flush and refill - $198
Brake system flush, refill, reprogram sensors - $352
Belt, tensioner, 2x idle pulleys - $611
Rear diff service - $223
Oil change w/MB full synthetic - $429
Front brake pads replaced including sensors - $481
Rear brake pads including sensors - $353
I did my brake pads for $59 and 90 minutes of my time front and rear w sensors

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,690 Posts
Just a note about brakes on the SL...you really need SDS. You MUST disable SBC before servicing the brakes or you risk damaging them or yourself. There are ways to do this without SDS (like unplugging the SBC wiring harness, disconnecting both batteries, or using the published procedures). However, once the brakes are replaced, you need SDS to re-active SBC so that it does a proper calibration. Without doing that, you may have reduced braking efficiency.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not a DIY guy and I am not wealthy but I decided to plunge anyway's and after 3+ years I do not had any regrets. in November 2015 bought an 04 sl 500 with 47k on it. the dealer had replaced the power steering pump and did a few other things. I've put 30k miles on it since then and really has been a great car. I had the normal maintenance done in this time. But after reading a lot about this car I have learned to do some minor things on my own, I also bought a OBO11 diagnostics tool, Although after reading a forum earlier today I wish I would have got the star one. The article that made a big impression on me was on a ABC forum on this website about how critical it is to do the required maintenance BEFORE it needs repair! So with that being said I am putting more money away for the maintenance that needs to be done.

·
18,690 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

If you don't want to invest in SDS (which you can get for under $500) you might at least look into an iCarsoft i980 or MBII, or the Autel MD802 Elite.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey i have a bluetooth obd2 scanner(20$) which connects to my phone using the torque app, which tell me the codes, and able to read sensors live & clear fault codes, does the ones (scanners) you listed do alot more then that or thats about it. thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey i have a bluetooth obd2 scanner(20$) which connects to my phone using the torque app, which tell me the codes, and able to read sensors live & clear fault codes, does the ones (scanners) you listed do alot more then that or thats about it. thanks
A WHOLE LOT MORE!!!!

·
18,690 Posts
Generic OBDII scanners are fine if you need to find the code that is illuminating the MIL (check engine light), but to actually diagnose problems, they are nearly worthless. First of all, OBDII is a standard that was developed to handle all cars, all engines and all situations, but not necessarily help technicians solve problems. OBDII was created (and mandated) to make government-required emissions testing easier. Instead of having to physically inspect the engine and test the exhaust output, the emissions tester can simply plug in and verify that everything is operating within spec. Because this standard is across all car makes, engines, etc., it's sort of the "lowest common denominator" of information. The good news is that while all car manufacturers must conform to OBDII standards, they are free to use their own proprietary systems that can be much more detailed. Also, OBDII only pulls codes from the ECU, but most manufacturers have more computers than that in their car and are also free to give them their own diagnostic capabilities.

Given the complexity of the R230 with its many on-board computers running everything from the door locks to the ABC suspension and SBC brakes, you really need a tool that, at a minimum, can pull codes from all of them. A generic OBDII scanner won't do that. The absolute best choice is SDS (MBZ's Star Diagnosis System, a.k.a. Xentry or DAS). MBZ does officially sell this to independent shops and even DIYers, but the cost is prohibitive (5-figures plus monthly licensing fees). An alternative is to get a Chinese "clone". For most people the best choice would be a turnkey system for around $500-$700. It comes pre-installed and configured, running an (included) used laptop. If you are so inclined, it's possible to configure one yourself by bringing your own computer, downloading the software for free, and just buying a Chinese multiplexer for under $200. The challenge with SDS is that you do need to be a bit tech savvy and there is a learning curve. It was not designed for DIYers. It is intended to be used by professionals that go through training programs to use it.

An alternative to SDS is to buy a hand-held scanner that is capable of reading MBZ's systems. There are several out there, including the iCarsoft i980 and MBII, and the Autel MD802 Elite. These can't do any coding and lack the shop manuals and other resources of SDS, but they can pull and clear MBZ's native codes from all the car's systems. And they are easy to use - plug and scan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rudeney I am robson1998 also.. somehow I have two profiles. I will try deleting robson1998. But I wanted to reply to your comment earlier about the oboII. I did buy the iCarsoft i980 Benz diagnostic tool but I had read earlier here that the star diagnostic is so much better and does a lot more. Also about the maintenance of my SL500, I have found a garage that works on it at a reasonable price, although If it is something that is highly technical then I will have to use a Benz dealer(god forbid!) But I am learning and doing some small things on my own. thanks

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
22 Participants
Michael Preiss
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing