Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2.5 16V 190E
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of bringing my 2.5 16V 190e back to the states. Can anybody tell me where I can buy Tailights, headlights, mirrors that are meet DOT req's?? Or in other words, American parts for my benz? Thanks

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
At what part of the "process" are you in getting the car registered for entry in the US? Have you checked the US Customs requirements, including the forms for certification? I'm curious about how you intend to get the 2.5-16 DOT/EPA certified.

·
Registered
2.5 16V 190E
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm shipping my vehicle to a NHTSA Registered Importer which is authorized to import vehicles from oher countries and modify them to meet with Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Once the car is DOT and EPA certified I will get it back with paper where I can register it anywhere I want. Needless to say, the whole process isn't cheap, but I think it's whorth bringing this 2.5 16V.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
It was my understanding that the bonded importer that certifies DOT and EPA compliance has to issue a warranty for the work done to you, so are they going to allow you to install used North American parts? The other issue is what are they going to do with the euro parts, like the headlights, bumpers, windshield, etc.?

·
Registered
2.5 16V 190E
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, most of the work they have to do is replace Euro parts to American DOT parts. After that, they have to get the car to pass EPA inspections so my exhaust has to get modified. Parts that I can aquire and install myself will help with the conversion and the total cost as well. All other parts not conforming with DOT specs will have to get destroyed by the Importer or shipped back to a foreign address. For that, I'm looking to replace my headlights, tailights, mirrors etc myself. That way I won't have to worry about having them destroyed or shipped back to Italy.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
There aren't very many reasonable opportunities for you to get US parts due to the shipping costs, so either Ebay or a US recycler like Potomac German Auto or Silverstar Recycling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts