Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 300se 1990 200k

I've had people tell me this can be buffed out. I think it needs to be re-painted.

Would the hood need to be pulled off and sandblasted before painting?
What would be a decent price?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Theres NO buffing that out!!!!!! It looks like the clear coat is peeling off, It looks like it should be stripped and refinished, SAND it, NOT sandblast it. Sandblasting WILL damage the hood.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i just got munie repainted , it looks great, there was stone chips all over it, a good indie shop will do it for prob, 250 bucks, if its just sand, primer paint clear... good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
My son and I just spend the weekend on our 190e. It had badly stained clearcoat over white. We basically used a machine and rubbing compound and elbow grease to remove the clearcoat on the hood. We were able to clean up the rest. We then used paint cleaner, polish, and carnnuuba wax. It looks really great. Basically, by removing the clearcoat on the hood, we took it down to an acryllic finish.

I can't believe you could get a paint job for even close to $250. I would think at the minimum, it would be at least $1000. I had a quote for $1800, after we took off all the trim, etc. You might as well try the rubbing compound on an area. When I used a machine, it was pretty easy to see when I had removed the clearcoat, because it was dull and the acryllic was shiny underneath. Hard to explain but we are very happy for now.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Agreed, there is no hope for that hood. The clear coat is totally gone. Your best solution is a complete redo. You can either sand, paint and clear coat which would be the most economical solution, or go the more aggressive, but more complete route by starting with a media blast down to metal. This way you can identify any problems in the base metal before your repaint. Then an all new primer, base and clear coat. This way you could even opt for one of the newer technology ceremic clear coats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey verisoph,

Sorry about the hood!! Looks pretty torn up. The best thing to do with a job that size is to probably have a professional do it. Sometimes taking on jobs like that will set you back more and you'll have to get it redone anyways. So in the end you might be doing better, if you have a shop look at it.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek: $1800 just for the hood??? I figured that would be for the whole car!

Oh, I've never had the intention of doing this myself. I know I need a pro. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great replies and info. I think a sand, paint and clear coat will suffice. The rest of the paint on the car is ok, a bunch of light scratches and stuff. The car is from GA. where it is basically illegal to wash cars due to the water shortages up there. When I got it, the paint looked awful and I have brought it back to life a bit. The hood is just lousy, and I'm a bit embarrassed to drive her around.

Anyone know how much a pro would charge to polish the whole car for?

·
Registered
107 Posts
:eek: $1800 just for the hood??? I figured that would be for the whole car!

Oh, I've never had the intention of doing this myself. I know I need a pro. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great replies and info. I think a sand, paint and clear coat will suffice. The rest of the paint on the car is ok, a bunch of light scratches and stuff. The car is from GA. where it is basically illegal to wash cars due to the water shortages up there. When I got it, the paint looked awful and I have brought it back to life a bit. The hood is just lousy, and I'm a bit embarrassed to drive her around.

Anyone know how much a pro would charge to polish the whole car for?
No, I mis-understood. I meant $1800 for the whole car. Sure, the hood by itself would be pretty cheap.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
That needs to be repainted. Where are you in N. FL? The clear coat is gone, most likely due to a failing hood pad on the reverse side. I've got a shop here that would do that hood for somewhere around $300-400. You wouldn't even be able to tell a repair had been made, they are really good, even with black.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm 30 miles to the north of you. Could you pm me the shop name?

I just got a ridiculous quote of $650 at a mccollision/paint store. I'd rather shod my wheels in fine Michelin rubber with 650 bux. :cool:

At least the hood looks fine from my point of view driving. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
id say you should do it yourself!people are talking about taking the clear off? then just weat sand lightly.clean up the mess (completly ) a light coat! youd be surprised as to how easy it is & clear coat. which is a little harder. taking the hood off is the easiest. definatly dont blast it you risk warping. but then your hood will stick out even more cuz its new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts